Joining pvc to metal pipe

Sharonjh

Bronze Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Australia
I found a leak under my skimmer and it looks like the pvc elbow is attached to metal pipe. I didn’t think this was possible. Can anyone suggest what has been done here please?

Attachments

• 51E3AB7D-B506-40FF-88DA-68C62C32A280.png
    51E3AB7D-B506-40FF-88DA-68C62C32A280.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
Possibly ABS pipe.

Try to clean the pipe with water to see if it has any writing on it.

The transition is typically not pressure rated and ABS is usually a DWV application.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A magnet won't work on copper.
I don’t think that it is copper.

Copper would be copper color or green.

It does not look like copper and I don’t think that copper pipe would fit snugly enough in a PVC fitting to stay secure at all.

PVC glue would not adhere at all to copper.

The OP can try scraping the surface with a knife to get a better idea what it is.

If it’s hard plastic, then it is probably ABS.

If it is soft plastic, then it might be black poly pipe.

If you cut out a section of pipe, you can drop a strong magnet through the pipe and if the pipe is copper, the magnet will fall more slowly than normal due to lenz's law.

I don’t think that it is copper.

Copper would be copper color or green.

It does not look like copper and I don’t think that copper pipe would fit snugly enough in a PVC fitting to stay secure at all.

PVC glue would not adhere at all to copper.

The OP can try scraping the surface with a knife to get a better idea what it is.

If it’s hard plastic, then it is probably ABS.

If it is soft plastic, then it might be black poly pipe.

If you cut out a section of pipe, you can drop a strong magnet through the pipe and if the pipe is copper, the magnet will fall more slowly than normal due to lenz's law.

Many pools of that era were plumb with black PVC. You don't see it much anymore as there were all kinds of issues with the black fittings. A little PVC primer can tell you what it is.

Black PVC pipe seems unlikely, but not impossible.

Typically, black PVC is used for furniture or maybe solar.

I don’t think that it was used for pools much.

Black Polyethylene or ABS seems most likely.

Maybe try to find some writing or scrape the surface to see if the plastic is hard or soft.

Differentiating between PVC and ABS is difficult unless you are really familiar with the look and feel of each.

PVC and ABS are both dissolvable in PVC solvent, acetone or MEK.

Polyethylene (Black poly) does not dissolve in PVC solvent.

There should be writing on the pipe to identify what it is.

ABS is used in some pool products like skimmers, multiport valves etc.

1652556594834.png
1652556735645.png
1652556982359.png
1652557018209.png

Last edited:
I would think that the solar plumbing would be more expensive than regular PVC, so I would not expect to see it used for regular plumbing, especially underground.

Maybe it was all they had at the time and they just wanted to get the job done.

The fact that it's mixed with regular PVC would support the idea that it was not the intended pipe for the job.

In any case, I'm glad that you got it figured out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.