Jet Pump Problem

jmusits

May 22, 2019
Greenfield Center, NY
Hey all,

The used hot tub that I recently picked up has an issue with the jet pump. It is a two-speed pump and it will not start on low speed. It will start on high speed and if I am quick enough, I can switch back to low speed before the pump fully spins down. This behavior has made me think that it is a bad capacitor. I replaced the capacitor and the behavior is still the same.

Questions:
1: What else should I be checking?
2: Does this mean that the motor itself is on its way out and needs to be replaced?

My biggest concern is that in winter mode the circulation pump and the jet pump (on low speed) will run periodically to prevent the lines from freezing. If the pump can't start on low speed then I have no protection in those lines from freezing, so this is something that I want to address before winter arrives.

Thanks for your help!

Does it hum loudly when trying to start in low speed?
It could be a bearing issue or more likely a sticking centrifugal switch or start switch. Or a bad or wrong size capacitor, new does not always mean good. I'd bring it to a motor shop for a rebuild.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.