Jellyfish looking and same consistency

Always Swimming

Jun 9, 2019
PA
First time ever on a forum and first day on this forum. I am a second generation life long pool owner. We have a fiberglass salt-water pool in PA; however, this salt-water pool is new to me. We were able to close it last year and open this year without issue until today. The pool has been open for 3 weeks now, a lot of rain and the pool temp is 77°F.
We notice these clear slimy oval pods attached to the walls of the fiberglass pool. They seem to have developed overnight as we had vacuumed the pool yesterday. We did not notice them then. They smell very fishy. We scrubbed the fiberglass and I added 12 cups of chlorine to our 35,000 gallon 7ft deep pool. I then increased the chlorination/salinity of the pool at the pump to 50%, it was set at 35%. Still it took hours to skim them all out of the water. They do look like itsy bitsy jellyfish when they are floating in the water. What is it and how do we get rid of them? And from where did it all come? When should I return my pool back to 35% salinity? I want to prevent this from ever happening again, help!

Hi, do you have a test kit and a way to test the water? See here: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool
Also, can you post up some more information about your pool (preferrably placed in your signature) so that others can immediately know what kind of setup you have when they try and reply to your posts? See here for more information: Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool

I strongly suggest you purchase a TF-100 or Taylor K2006C test kit as soon as possible if you do not have a quality test kit. That is the first step in the process is a quality test kit.

You may also want to take a photo of what you are talking about and post it here.

They might be bryozoa. Check out these articles

I would imagine proper levels of chlorine (or even SLAM levels for a short time) and circulation will get rid of them.

ETA: I found a technical paper that said raising water to 5 ppm for 24 hrs should take care of them. So I'd say SLAM level for 24 hrs just to be sure after cleaning out all the ones you can find. Don't circulate, brush to distribute. Running the water through your pump will just let larvae get stuck in your plumbing and filter media. Let it sit at SLAM level for 24 hrs then vacuum to waste for 10 min or one full coverage of your pool, bottom and sides. That should take care of your problem.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.