Janky Jandy - Things randomly turning on and off

MarcBalcer

Jun 1, 2021
Chesterbrook, PA
Howdy!

I ran the pool in Aqualink manual service mode after opening in April. Recently moved it to auto and noticed the programs were working but every once in awhile the pool light or blower turned on randomly. When I have the system in "Service" or "Time Out" mode, I do not get any random equipment turning on.

When I turned on the Jandy remote, it was "Waiting". I examined the wiring and found the wire to the antenna was frayed and the antenna unit was not receiving power. I respliced the wiring and got power back and got connectivity to the remote.

So I figured that would fix everything but it didn't. Still getting random equipment turning on and off in auto mode. Obviously, I'm working with a very old piece of technology (2008), but I'm really hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it and avoid having to buy an IQ-30RS upgrade kit (which might not even be a problem) or god forbid a new Aqualink system.

Any initial steps that I should explore with the equipment before any replacement consideration?

Thank you! Should have pools details in signature. MB

@PoolGate has the same ghosts in his Aqualink system. Maybe the two of you can figure it out together.

Yeah I have these same issues. However, I have a working theory that it might be the computer or phone app causing the issues. I commonly brought up the browser app on my PC and just left it up. I also commonly left the phone app on and did not exit out of it properly. I have stopped doing this entirely and since then, I have only had one instance of a water feature turning itself on. Used to be my heater would randomly turn itself on along with the lights. I am optimistic but for now I still leave my gas valve turned off since my heater costs $5/hour to run.

Nice to not feel so alone @PoolGate :)

Just realized that we used to have a 4-button switch that was removed from a poolhouse wall. So there is likely a cut wire somewhere that could be causing the problem. I'll get my shovel and/or try to figure out how to disconnect it from the control box board and report back. MB

Nice to not feel so alone @PoolGate :)

Just realized that we used to have a 4-button switch that was removed from a poolhouse wall. So there is likely a cut wire somewhere that could be causing the problem. I'll get my shovel and/or try to figure out how to disconnect it from the control box board and report back. MB
Four button control is wired to the 6-wire, brown plug top of the board in the Jandy. Just remove it from the circuit board. If that is the issue (an it very commonly is) it will go away.