Jandy vs. Pentair Pros & Cons

RS220

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2019
Fresno, CA
So my pool builder is actually recommending Jandy equipment. Anyone have thoughts or opinions on that?

From everything I've read, it's like Toyota vs. Honda. There are preferences out there, but overall they are both popular, reputable, and will get the job done. We have a 25K gallon pool, cartridge filter, and SWG. No automation. May add a heat pump / chiller at some point in the future.

Is one better if we wanted to add automation down the line?
Does one excel at SWG but maybe not as good at filters, or pumps?
Are there certain quirks of one system vs. another?
Are there regional differences? Would one perform in our hot dry climate better than another?

I'm assuming we should pick a brand and stick with it for the pump, cartridge, and SWG. There don't seem to be any advantages to a mixed brand setup.

Thank you!

Jandy has more propriety stuff, like the proprietary pressure gauge on its filters, that lock you into paying their prices. Jandy has stricter no-warranty on equipment bought on the Internet then Pentair. Pool companies like selling Jandy because it locks their customers more into servicing and purchasing from "pool professionals'.

Filters are a commodity. I like the Pentair Intellicenter better than the Jandy RS8. And I have a 20 year old RS8 with Pentair pump, IC40 SWG, and Pentair DE filter. I will eventually replace my RS8 with an Intellicenter. I think the Intelliflo VS pump is superior than the Jandy pumps and the Intellichlor SWG is better then the Jandy SWG.

No regional difference. Both are available throughout the US.

Jandy stuff is ok. Pentair stuff seems to be of higher quality and has better business practices.

Last edited:

With the exception of Allen, most Jandy owners think their systems are better, and most Pentair owners think their systems are better. :mrgreen:

As a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, I have three all Pentair pools.. Automation, IntelliFlo pumps, and IC40 SWCGs... If I were to build another 100 pools they would all be Pentair pools, but that is because that is what I have, and how well it has all worked for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can your builder do either brand? I ask because my builder insisted on Jandy...

I have had my issues with some of my Jandy items, but fortunately Jandy support has been very good and has even done repairs and replacements beyond the original 3 year warranty, which is a plus.

For what it is worth I do think Pentair seems to have some better hardware choices and offers more advanced solutions in their pool equipment lineup (think automated acid tanks, different pumps, better automation, like Intellicenter etc...). With the chance of having a longer warranty on "self" or "non-pool professional" installs Pentair wins on the more DIY install points. Now would I switch if I were building a pool again? That is hard for me to say.

I have one important feature for me in my Jandy system that don't exist in Pentair AFAIK - I can have my SWCG change the percentage of output based on if my automatic safety cover is open or closed. I am not sure that is possible with Pentair.

Post up a list of the proposed equipment and see what the various users here see and can recommend. Your equipment lists seems like a nice simple straight forward setup, so I don't know if you would gain much or lose much really with either choice.

I have one important feature for me in my Jandy system that don't exist in Pentair AFAIK - I can have my SWCG change the percentage of output based on if my automatic safety cover is open or closed. I am not sure that is possible with Pentair.

I think you can do that if you have the Intellicenter and Intellichlor. Possibly on the other Pentair automation panels.

Pretty sure we are having the age old Chevy/Ford, Saab/Audi, Benz/BMW debate all over again. There are hundreds of millions of them all running fine out there.

Thanks everyone, that's about what I thought. Pool Builder will do either, so it's up to me to decide.

What would you spec out for Jandy, and for Pentair? Is there a "good, better, best" listing somewhere? If we need to spend an extra $100 to ensure better longevity, performance, or future proofing, we're fine with that. Another $500...probably not worth it to us.

The SWG models for either seem pretty straightforward, just pick the largest size for our pool. Where I get lost is the pumps and filter options, there are SO many and tons of overlap, and I'm not sure which is best for us. I've read about them on both websites, but I still don't have a clear picture of why there are so many pumps. I know we need a 3HP (which seems like it is actually 2.7HP) variable speed pump, but even then there are so many models in each brand that fit those specs. I could let PB recommend, but I'd rather have you knowledgeable folks weigh with your experiences if you don't mind. Same with the cartridge filters, I'm not sure why there are so many different cartridge filter designs in each brand for our size of pool, and why one would be superior over another.

Pentair workhorse pimp is the Intelliflo 011028 model. Intellichlor IC40 or IC60 SWG. Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter is fine if you want cartridge.

Once you pick a brand, its back to the car debate all over again. Take the filters for example. The big 3 all have plusses and minuses but fliter within 15 microns of each other. Technically sand is 'the worst' but unless you'll be sending your water to a lab, nobody will ever know. There are millions of stunning sand filtered pools out there. One thing to look for is ease of disassembly. Some have a steel belt which can be difficult to open or reseal. Mine (cartridge) uses 8 clamp like things that spin on and off easily. Just have to spin them all alot. I also prefer the fact that all i have to do is clean mine occasionally and never need trips to the store to get more sand/DE. Or have to add said sand/DE. To me its worth spending all those little additions in one shot every 10 years by replacing the cartridges. I have the same mentality with the SWG. One and done.

Pumps will have similar differences with features. I for one dont use nearly as much as what my pump can do, but i do like that i can select my rpms by 5 at a time instead of 4 or 8 set speeds. Sometimes the vaccuum just needs a little more oomph without going up several hundred rpms. But again, just a personal preference and one way isnt neccessarily better than the other.

I was lucky to have such a good PB that i never felt the need to look anything up or fact check him. Had i found this place originally i would have obsessed over every last detail and option. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. Told my PB i needed as simple as could be and once i agreed to the upfrint costs, he delivered on that promise.

Our PB is proposing the following Jandy equipment. To my untrained eye this looks acceptable. Anyone have any experience or opinions about the TruClear vs. the AquaPure? Direct comparisons are hard to find. I've read many times here that the SWG should be twice the size, this one isn't quite that. It's rated at 35K, our pool is ~25K though I think it's actually less, so much of our area is a shallow ledge, but time will tell. PB said ~25K, my calculations came up with like 22K.

• VSPHP270AUT - Pump
  • TruClear11K - Salt System
  • CL580 - Cartridge Filter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am having my PB put in an Aquapure PLC1400. Slight overkill as our pool will be around 18k but from what I have read here...you cant go to big on a SWG.

Aquapure PLC700 : up to 12,000 gallons and .625lb/24 hr CL output
Aquapure PLC1400: up to 40,000 gallons and 1.25lb/24 hr Cl output

The Trueclear is one size only and rated for up to 35,000 gallons (18 grams per hr) or 0.95lb/24 hr CL output.

Our PB is proposing the following Jandy equipment. To my untrained eye this looks acceptable. Anyone have any experience or opinions about the TruClear vs. the AquaPure? Direct comparisons are hard to find. I've read many times here that the SWG should be twice the size, this one isn't quite that. It's rated at 35K, our pool is ~25K though I think it's actually less, so much of our area is a shallow ledge, but time will tell. PB said ~25K, my calculations came up with like 22K.

• VSPHP270AUT - Pump
  • TruClear11K - Salt System
  • CL580 - Cartridge Filter

I suggest you get the Aquapure 1400.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.