Jandy TrueClear chlorinator not producing

Oceansol

May 26, 2015
Oceanside, California
I had the TC installed in November of last year, and now i see no chlorine production. Jandy rep says if phosphates are high it wont produce?

We had lots and lots of rain this winter so I had to drain pool often, but i added back salt (as well as other chemicals).

Current levels:
Salt 3000
Chlorine 2.0
CYA 60

TFP teaches phosphate levels don't matter, but maybe they do for Jandy TrueClear?

How do you "see" no chlorine production?

Phosphates are believed by SWG vendors to coat the plates and reduce chlorine generation.

A combination of algae + phosphates can make it look like no chlorine is being produced.

TFP teaches phosphate levels don't matter .... for algae prevention.

What is your phosphate level?

O,

I suspect that your cell is working just fine and that you have an algae bloom, even if you can't see it yet..

TFP also teaches that your FC has to match your CYA. With a CYA of 60, your FC should be 7 to 9 ppm with the absolute minimum of 5 ppm

You need to do an OCLT.. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all your replies.... i can't "see" chlorine production because if the chemistry is correct ( it is except maybe phosphates) it should be generating chlorine. Chlorine levels have been stable (slight downward drift) for 3 days.

Yes, I like FC in the 6-8 range....

I'll have phosphates tested later today.

Thank you!!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Phosphates 1300... Leslie's guys dont think phosphates affect chlorine production, but were happy to sell me product to reduce or eliminate them.
They did say thst everyone get high phosphates this time of year from pollen. We had so much rain this winter it is excessive.

I'm slamming now too, so it will be a few weeks before everything settles down and i can determine if my TC is generating.

Anytime you have difficulty holding FC, run an overnight FC test

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If you fail, then slam.

If you pass then crank the cell to 100 and run an overnight *gain* test to see if the low production is the cell not producing, or the CYA got too low and needs to be boosted for UV protection.