Jandy RS6 Upgrade Path for DIY

FlyingCheese

Jun 26, 2021
I'm looking for some guidance on any potential upgrade paths from my existing Jandy RS6 automation setup - whether there are in-place upgrades for this particular system or something entirely new. The system itself has been fairly trouble-free, though the PDA I have that is working seems to be dying a slow death. I would prefer something that interfaces with a smart phone. I will be replacing my pump in the very near future with a variable speed unit (Pentair Intelliflow), so the ability to control that would be idea - not certain my current RS4 setup can do that without some kind of upgrade or update.

My setup is a pool/spa combo, heater, pool/spa lights, vac booster and main pump. Ideally I'd love to be able to trigger landscape lighting with the system as well.

Last but not least, I'd really prefer something I can do DIY, if possible. I hadn't planned to make any changes anytime soon, but with the impending need for a new VS pump, I'd like to at least consider a new setup. I'm very knowledgeable about my current pool setup, comfortable and competent with safe electrical work, a tech nerd in general and a fairly accomplished DIY guy - so installing something like this doesn't really phase me too much outside the potential costs.

Appreciate your feedback!

Last edited:
If you're wanting to DIY, I'd probably stay away from Jandy. They do not like dealing with owners, and you'll have a hard time getting any kind of support from them.

That being said, if you did just want to upgrade what you have, in place, you may just be able to purchase a newer CPU board for your RS6 and then grab an iAqualink setup to connect to it, which gives you the ability to control things from a smart phone (or any computer). If you're maxed out on relays right now, you'll want to go to the RS8 probably, and grab a couple more 3HP relays to drop in there.

Landscape lighting is easy. You just need to connect the lighting transformer to one of the Aqualink's (or any automation system) relays.

They do have the ability to talk to Intelliflo pumps, but I have zero experience with that, you'd probably want to talk to someone whose used those pumps on the aqualink setup to know for sure if it'll work.

Do you know what CPU revision you have?

You say you have an RS6 and then say it is an RS4 and then say you have a PDA.

Do you have a RS board or a PDA board in your system with what firmware version? And what controller(s) do you have to program the panel?

You want to upgrade to a Jandy RS system with firmware T2 with iAqualink. There are a few different upgrade paths depending on exactly what you have now.

What makes you think you have a RS4 or 6?

Sounds like you have the Aqualink PDA and need to upgrade it to Aqualink RS with iAqualink.

@PoolGate can help with that path.

If you're wanting to DIY, I'd probably stay away from Jandy. They do not like dealing with owners, and you'll have a hard time getting any kind of support from them.

That being said, if you did just want to upgrade what you have, in place, you may just be able to purchase a newer CPU board for your RS6 and then grab an iAqualink setup to connect to it, which gives you the ability to control things from a smart phone (or any computer). If you're maxed out on relays right now, you'll want to go to the RS8 probably, and grab a couple more 3HP relays to drop in there.

Landscape lighting is easy. You just need to connect the lighting transformer to one of the Aqualink's (or any automation system) relays.

They do have the ability to talk to Intelliflo pumps, but I have zero experience with that, you'd probably want to talk to someone whose used those pumps on the aqualink setup to know for sure if it'll work.

Do you know what CPU revision you have?
Are there other brands that are a little more consumer friendly? Having dealt with trying to get support for second-hand Crestron and Nuvo gear, I'd prefer to avoid any big investments in companies that don't cater to tinkerers like myself.

Pentair is the least DIY hostile with support for their IntelliCenter. They will provide very limited warranty for DIY work and you can work around their warranty restrictions. Parts are readily available retail and manuals are posted on their website.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.