Jandy/Nature 2 SWG recommendation?

rbarci910

Aug 12, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
The pool builder we decided to go with uses Jandy equipment. I'm looking for recommendations on which SWG I should go with. I don't have all the final numbers but I believe it'll be somewhere in the range of 20-23k gallons (Gunite freeform.) Builder is offering True Clear or Nature 2 Fusion. I know not to use the mineral cartridge with the Nature 2. Nature 2 is rated up to 40k and True Clear is rated up to 35k. I like the fact that the Nature 2 would be about 2x the size of the pool volume. Is is worth inquiring about about the Jandy Aquapure? I will have automation which is another reason to keep it in the Jandy family.

The pool builder we decided to go with uses Jandy equipment. I'm looking for recommendations on which SWG I should go with. I don't have all the final numbers but I believe it'll be somewhere in the range of 20-23k gallons (Gunite freeform.) Builder is offering True Clear or Nature 2 Fusion. I know not to use the mineral cartridge with the Nature 2. Nature 2 is rated up to 40k and True Clear is rated up to 35k. I like the fact that the Nature 2 would be about 2x the size of the pool volume. Is is worth inquiring about about the Jandy Aquapure? I will have automation which is another reason to keep it in the Jandy family.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect we might be using the same builder. If that's the case, I had this same conversation with them and was offered the Aquapure as an option...for an additional fee. Since the Nature 2 can be used without the mineral cartridge and has pretty much the same chlorine output I saw no reason to pay more for the Aquapure.

Hey rbarci and Welcome !! Bigger is always better so the 40k unit will take about 13% longer to reach end of life. In Pennsylvania you won’t have the extreme FC demand that they have in the hot climates so you probably won’t be able to see any difference between the two units on a day to day basis. You *might* realize the bigger one lasted a few months longer 5 years from now but it’s probably a few dollars more expensive to make it a moot point either way.

The TruClear has been known to have issues.

The Nature 2 without the mineral cartridge has not been shown to have many issues.

Remember that Jandy equipment in general does not lend itself to DIY maintenance and repair.

The mineral cartridge is a "dumb" cartridge. The unit doesn't even know if it is installed. So it makes no difference at all whether you put it in or not.

The specs and control system for the Aquapure and FusionSoft are identical. I suspect the cell is the same as well. The TruClear is known for issues and my neighbor lost a cell after only 1 1/2 seasons. I lost my Nature2 cell this season after only 3 seasons. It is $500 for the 1400 series cell. The warranty is 3 years so I am getting a new cell for free. Jandy is very good with warranty stuff. They don't argue, just cover the repair. I have even heard they honor out of warranty repairs on occasion. On the 2 occasions that I had issues with my Jandy equipment, once on the heater (ignitor) and now on the FusionSoft, they also decided just to send me the repair parts and not send it to the repair "professional".

I understand why Jandy wants their stuff installed and repaired by "professionals" but I think they are seeing now what pool owners have been seeing for years; very poor service from the builder or repair shop. They didn't argue with me at all when I called the 2nd time to tell them my "professional" was totally unresponsive meaning they probably hear this a lot. They just sent it to me which is what I would have preferred in the first place. It would not surprise me to see Jandy drop this new practice of requiring professional repair help.

Thanks all for the replies. You’ve been very helpful as I was having a difficult time trying to decide which to go with. Builder is hoping he can get us to a shell before the weather turns bad. Otherwise we’ll start in the spring. I’ve learned a ton from this website!

@Dave1096 - it’s not A&S. I believe you may have been the one who asked that when I originally posted quotes. I’ve checked out your build page. Pool looks great so far!

it’s not A&S. I believe you may have been the one who asked that when I originally posted quotes. I’ve checked out your build page. Pool looks great so far!
Ah, forgot I had asked you before. Thanks for the compliment on our pool progress. It's been a fun ride so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.