Jandy LG125 Leaking Flange

Apevia

May 14, 2019
Chicago
Hi all,

I've been dealing with a leaky header now for 2 years and finally brought myself to attempt to fix it. I have a Jandy LG125 heater that was purchased by the previous homeowners so I know it's old but it works well (except for the leak).

My problem is with the 2in flange connected to the header on both sides. When I try to connect a male PVC fitting (w/ teflon paste) the connection won't hold from leaking and over time loosens with the summer heat, causing to leak more. On the attached parts diagram it shows an option for threaded iron pipe or non-threaded iron or copper pipe with the use of plastic sleves/gaskets. I don't have those pieces but would that be an alternative?

I want to avoid replacing the flange's as they are $150-200 but as a last resort it's cheaper than a new heater.

Thank you in advance!
Joe

Attachments

• 1558101643775.png
    1558101643775.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Heater.jpg
    Heater.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi James, I’ve gone through 2 sch40 pvc fittings that both screwed in nice but still drip right away, although it is a very slow drip and only when the pump runs. My main problem is during the summer heat and exposure to sun, I believe the fitting loosens and the leak gets worse

Clean up the threads by screwing in a metal fitting and then remove it and use a fine wire brush to clean the threads.

Then, use some schedule 80 CPVC MTAs or nipples to redo the connections. CPVC not PVC.

Use teflon tape and then a pipe sealant that will set up semipermanent on the threads.

Give it overnight to set up before pressurizing.

Don't turn off the pump while the heater is on. Always turn the heater off 5 minutes before the pump goes off so that the heater cools down.

Last edited:
T
Clean up the threads by screwing in a metal fitting and then remove it and use a fine wire brush to clean the threads.

Then, use some schedule 80 CPVC MTAs or nipples to redo the connections. CPVC not PVC.

Use teflon tape and then a pipe sealant that will set up semipermanent on the threads.

Give it overnight to set up before pressurizing.

Don't turn off the pump while the heater is on. Always turn the heater off 5 minutes before the pump goes off so that the heater cools down.

Thank you James. I’ve tried with CPVC before, even though I referred to it as pvc. Something that I haven’t tried is using thread tape with pipe sealant too. Which pipe sealant do you recommend? I have T-2 on hand but could grab something better

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.