Jandy JXI with Versaflo Heater

Cypher129

May 18, 2019
Dallas
Hi, I'm about to install a Jandy JXI400NK 400K BTU Heater with Versaflo Technology built in which has the heater bypass inside the unit. My question is that the User manual indicates that: "A manual bypass valve is to be installed in any system in which the pump flow exceeds 100 gpm to the heater. • Connect a valve between the water inlet and outlet." (user manual section 5.1.1 page 21) My pool pump can exceed 100 GPM so Jandy support says I should have a manual bypass valve installed to help with flow control. However, when I google "Manual Bypass valve for Pool heaters" I can only find results and information for installing a bypass to prevent corrosion. I haven't found any installs for manual bypass that are primarily done to assist with flow control for pumps that can exceed 100gpm. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also I am removing my Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator and going with the 300C offline version to improve flow in the system. My understanding is that a check valve is not required when using and offline chlorinator but would just be an added benefit. Also every heater bypass installation I've seen appears to employ a check valve so I may end up having to install regardless of the chlorinator choice. Anyone's advise on how to create a bypass loop to assist with flow control would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP :)

It does exactly the same thing for bypass.. Heaters are a major hit to flow so it is better to have a bypass for both flow and corrosion.. Just because your pump can do over 100 gpm does not mean it will do over 100 gpm..

Cypher,

Welcome to TFP! You may want to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. We recommend avoiding trichlor tablets because they can cause issues with CYA build up. TFP is a site that helps pool owners learn to implement TFP methods which are science-based and extremely low cost because we use dirt cheap big box store generic chemicals identical to the more expensive versions in pool stores. Also, we don't sell anything so our advice is never conflicted. It helps us to get quicker advice to you and to be more efficient with volunteer's time if you could add a signature. Here's how.

Again, welcome and we look forward to your posts.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.