Jandy JXI with Versaflo Heater

I schedule my heater to be on from 9AM to 9PM. I don't want it running all night. The heater usually runs for a bit in the morning to restore any heat lost overnight and get the pool back to the temperature setpoint.
What times does your pump run?

24 hours a day at 1700 rpm.
Higher rpm when the heater comes on? :) What temp do you keep heater at? What's your IC60 set at to be able to run the pump 24 hours a day? Does your spa spillover stay on all the time? The way we are plumbed the spa spillover can't be turned off (unless in spa mode). We are located in similar climate and have similar equipment so I'm curious on your answers.
How do you like your plaster? We will be refinishing early next spring most likely.

Higher rpm when the heater comes on? :)

No. It stays at 1700 rpm.

I have a 20 year old Aqualink system which doesn't control VS pumps. I have an IntelliCnter sitting in the garage which will probably get installed in the Spring. Never got around to it this season.

What temp do you keep heater at?

What's your IC60 set at to be able to run the pump 24 hours a day?

Right now 10%. It was 20% in the early summer. 10% is a bit low but my FC was high. I run my FC on the high side. When it gets towards the minimum I put it on superchlorinate for 24 hours and boost it up. See my PM logs.

Does your spa spillover stay on all the time?

No. Aqualink has been running my spa for 15 minutes at 9AM, 1PM and 6PM. I just reduced that to one run at 9AM for 15 minutes to refresh the spa water.

How do you like your plaster? We will be refinishing early next spring most likely.

I like the Hydrazoo finish. I got 16 years out of the first run and only replatered due to a rusting rebar area. Otherwise it could have gone a few more years. I replastered with the same.

Reactions: Pperc
See below I have 2 temperature set points. Temp1 and Temp2. My pump runs 24x7 at 2k rpms. It automatically increases to 3k when heat is called for. I use my heater "on demand". When I need it, I run it. When I am going to swim, I turn it on with enough lead time to get up to temp. During the summer it doesn't usually drop much below 90 even without heat but on colder night or coming into shoulder months it needs help. I typically don't run it at night for any reason though.

With your pump at full speed, what is your filter pressure? Mine never goes much above 22 or so.

1600170039257.png
1600170051612.png

So they did not use the 4 wire. One 4 wire port was used for the iq-20 upgrade. The other was used for both the VSF Pentair pump and the old pda controller for the box. It’s a bit odd. The heater is on a 2 wire.

You can get the below if you need more devices. You don't need to connect the heater via 4-wire. It is sloppy, but not required. My electrician did the same thing. I went back in myself and re-wired for the 4-wire connection.

There is a bug in the app. When it does that, usually all you need to do is swipe down to refresh the screen and it reconnects.
I thought so too, but a wire was loose in the iAquaLink box so i adjusted and it fixed it. I realized it because my pump wasn’t showing automation mode on the digital screen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See below I have 2 temperature set points. Temp1 and Temp2. My pump runs 24x7 at 2k rpms. It automatically increases to 3k when heat is called for. I use my heater "on demand". When I need it, I run it. When I am going to swim, I turn it on with enough lead time to get up to temp. During the summer it doesn't usually drop much below 90 even without heat but on colder night or coming into shoulder months it needs help. I typically don't run it at night for any reason though.

With your pump at full speed, what is your filter pressure? Mine never goes much above 22 or so.

View attachment 162670
View attachment 162671
Interesting. I’ll have to play with having 2 temps. Does it allow you to select from them from them on the quick app screen?

At full speed with heater on probably over 30 psi but I’ll check later. What’s max speed on the VSF? 3600rpm?

with heater off it’s probably lower (the Versaflo bypasses the heater).

Interesting that both of you northeast guys run your pumps all night. I’m not used to thinking that way given my previous pump was single speed.

You can get the below if you need more devices. You don't need to connect the heater via 4-wire. It is sloppy, but not required. My electrician did the same thing. I went back in myself and re-wired for the 4-wire connection.

Nice! Where do you put that new board? Is there a tutorial you followed? I’m not very handy with electrical ...

Interesting. I’ll have to play with having 2 temps. Does it allow you to select from them from them on the quick app screen?

At full speed with heater on probably over 30 psi but I’ll check later. What’s max speed on the VSF? 3600rpm?

with heater off it’s probably lower (the Versaflo bypasses the heater).

Interesting that both of you northeast guys run your pumps all night. I’m not used to thinking that way given my previous pump was single speed.

Having the pump on all night is for chlorine production. It is easier to calculate what a pool needs with a constant like the SWG being on all the time. Mine is dialed in at 53% with the pump running 24x7. I have never had a single spec of algae in my pool.

You mean the OneTouch?

1600174050613.png

There are also other temp related settings in your Aqualink setup.

1600174201577.png

You also have an "all off" function that turns everything off at a set time "just in case" someone left something on. So for instance, you could set this at 12am and then at 12:05am, turn on your pump for SWG chlorine production.

1600174278984.png

There are multiple ways to control pump speed for variable speed pumps In addition to traditional automation systems. one way is to make use of digital inputs. Some pumps have this capability built in and some require an adapter. If you use digital inputs you can change pump speed with signals that are generated by various different pieces of equipment. For example if you want to change the pump speed to increase it when the solar valve is closed which allows water to flow to the roof you can take the same signal that closes the valve and wire that to one of the digital inputs and then set that input to the desired speed. In your case you could do what I have done for my heater which is to take the signal from the gas valve and add a wire that goes to the digital input just to increase speed to the gas heater requirement. All of the pumps and adapters seem to use the same or very similar electronics. This signal can be anywhere from 12 to 30 volts and it can be AC or DC. So virtually any signal that is used by your equipment will be compatible with the digital input requirements.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

There are multiple ways to control pump speed for variable speed pumps In addition to traditional automation systems. one way is to make use of digital inputs. Some pumps have this capability built in and some require an adapter. If you use digital inputs you can change pump speed with signals that are generated by various different pieces of equipment. For example if you want to change the pump speed to increase it when the solar valve is closed which allows water to flow to the roof you can take the same signal that closes the valve and wire that to one of the digital inputs and then set that input to the desired speed. In your case you could do what I have done for my heater which is to take the signal from the gas valve and add a wire that goes to the digital input just to increase speed to the gas heater requirement. All of the pumps and adapters seem to use the same or very similar electronics. This signal can be anywhere from 12 to 30 volts and it can be AC or DC. So virtually any signal that is used by your equipment will be compatible with the digital input requirements.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
thanks. this is gibberish to me, though. hah

Having the pump on all night is for chlorine production. It is easier to calculate what a pool needs with a constant like the SWG being on all the time. Mine is dialed in at 53% with the pump running 24x7. I have never had a single spec of algae in my pool.

You mean the OneTouch?

View attachment 162681

There are also other temp related settings in your Aqualink setup.

View attachment 162682

You also have an "all off" function that turns everything off at a set time "just in case" someone left something on. So for instance, you could set this at 12am and then at 12:05am, turn on your pump for SWG chlorine production.

View attachment 162683
I meant this on the app before going to the web. I’m going to play with the multiple temps.

Attachments

• B68752D8-B273-4082-8BEF-60F968261359.png
    B68752D8-B273-4082-8BEF-60F968261359.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.