Jandy JXI Check Ign Step - ongoing issues

TennMan78

Jun 25, 2022
Tampa, FL
I am clearly learning as I go but I need to see if I am now in over my head.

I have a Jandy JXI - Natural Gas unit. It worked great until I accidentally sprayed water inside it somehow when I was cleaning my filters.

I initially replaced the power distribution board. Upon powering up it quickly fried again with a nice pop. Lesson #1 learned - check the transformer as well.

So I then replaced both the transformer and the power distribution board (again). Now the unit receives power, but does not "start". No blower whatsoever. The LCD panel eventually gives me "Check IGN steps" fault. The red LED gives me a single-flash alert suggesting the an air flow fault.

I have searched various forums and Youtube, but can't find anything that goes beyond what I've done so far for a fried transformer and power distribution board.

Before I get into this any further, I wanted to see if
I'm missing some simple fuses somewhere. I'm worried I may have fried other components downstream of the distribution board. The 8-pin connector has singe marks put appears to otherwise be in great shape.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Try taking out the ignitor and see if it is bad. They go out often. Do you have any water underneath your heater? Check the ignitor hole with a flashlight and see if there is any water in the combustion chamber, it should be dry. I just went through this with mine and replaced the heat exchanger.

Do you have a multimeter and do you feel both 100% safe and comfortable using it to troubleshoot electrically? For the blower to start, you need 24 volts AC between the "W" and the "GND" terminals on the Fenwal ignition control.

Do you have a multimeter and do you feel both 100% safe and comfortable using it to troubleshoot electrically? For the blower to start, you need 24 volts AC between the "W" and the "GND" terminals on the Fenwal ignition control.
I ran through the troubleshooting flowsheet and got no power between from the pressure switch. I also checked W and GRN and got no voltage there either.

If the blower motor is not coming on, you'll get an air flow fault. When the unit operates normally, when you turn it on the system should start the blower up right away.

You could very well have fried the system board or more with the accidental water spray.

Do you have 24VAC between "R" and "GND on the Fenwal? If you do have 24VAC between "R" and "GND" on the Fenwal, but don't have 24VAC between "W" and "GND" on the Fenwal then you are losing the 24VAC on the main board. The water pressure switch and limits on the main board should all be closed. You should also have 24VAC between Red and Yellow wires at the J3 connector on the main board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.