Jandy JVA: Stops at 0, 90 and 180

You can control your JVAs in 5% increments using the SmartJVA controller. You can't set "stops" per se though. You will have on and off (which will be the "stops") but you can also control it additionally from those points. You can't set something for 45%, then another something for 75%, then another something for 100%. You'd think you could but not so. They are easy to install they simply go inline between your JVA and the slot the JVA plugs into. You need to be on a specific rev (or later) for these to work as well. Rev R maybe. Check in your aqualink and see if you have the settings for them in the setup. They are on the very last page of the setup.

sjva.jpg

Thank you for the prompt responses. Without the JVA I can manually set the valve to 0 degrees for Spa, 180 degrees for pool and more importantly 90 degrees for both. Seems very limiting and shortsided to not allow 3 stops. I have a brand new plumbing setup as part of a pool remodel and I can manually have both the pool and spa returns open by placing valve at 90 degrees. The moment the JVA was installed is either only pool returns or only spa returns but not both. This can't be right?

Attached is photo of my plumbing (intake/return JVA were not installed yet at time of photo). Here are the description of labels from photo
Intake:
D = Drain (pool)
C = Cleaner
S = Skimmer
S = Drain (spa)

Return:
SJ = Spa jets
SR = Spa returns
PR = Pool Returns
B = Pool led bubbler

My goal is to have not only spa mode and pool mode but also both.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190916-191511_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190916-191511_Photos.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 18
JC,

Sometimes the truth just hurts.. :mrgreen:

You can't just slap a bunch of pipes together and make them work the way you want... You have to build the plumbing so that it does what you want..

From a logical point of view, you would never want the Spa and the Pool to be operating at the same time as you would have to heat the pool as well as the spa...

Are you just interested in having the non-heated water spillover into your pool? If so you can do that a couple of different ways.. One is the "Spillover" mode.. This is where the automation sets up the valves to suck water from the pool and then send it to the spa.. You can adjust the amount of spillover by adjusting the pump speed. Another way is for the plumbing to have what is called a make-up valve.. This valve allows some water to go to the spa, when in the pool mode.. You can adjust the make up valve to control the amount of spillover.

I "think" your SR line acts like a make up valve, but your set up does not seem to fit the normal pool/spa plumbing for an automated system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The truth does indeed hurt. Unfortunately the pool contractor abandoned the job without the automation been completed. Plumbing was done though and in reality I have all the flexibility I need if it were not for the JVA not having 3 stops. As you noticed with SR (Spa Returns) line I do have the spillover while in pool mode. What I was looking for with automation was to mimick what I can do manually. As you can see in the photo the return valve is in the 90 degree position allowing water to flow to all 4 return lines (Spa returns, Spa Jets, Pool returns, LED bubbler). It truly stinks I can't accomplish this with JVA.

You can do what you want but not with a single button push using the SmartJVA. You would could save the setting where you use it most and that would be a single button push. Then for times you wanted a different setting, you'd press the +5% or -5% until you get the desired valve location. It sucks, I know. And from a programming perspective it is even more maddening since all it is is a few lines of code to get it where we want it. The state of pool automation for the most part is in the dark ages. Wait until you find out how your "automated" light actually changes to the color you select!

Thank you again. Hopefully Jandy/Zodiac can add this in a future software update although I won't hold my breath for it. I saw lights have to turn on/off multiple times to cycle through color options. Archaic indeed.

You'll probably not be surprised to hear that iAqualink is not flashable (as far as I know). You have to buy a new main board to upgrade your software revision (~$800).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even worse than I thought. I wonder how other companies pool automation systems compare in these respects?

All the actuators work the same except for the Pentair IntelliValve Valve Actuator. But Pentair has not released any software to control that actuator in more than two positions.

Just so I understand this correctly, if I put a JVA valve on my suction/skimmer adjustment line. (Call me crazy)

I can have the valve stop at let’s say 15 degrees/percent open for skimmer and 75 degrees/percent for vac. And then set it for 100 skimmer open on the other setting.

Then if I needed to make adjustments to vacuum suction or skimmer I could adjust 5 degree increments through the Iaqualink?

I just got a pool months ago and have tinkered with all kinds of things, this might be one of the next victims if possible.

Yes you could do that. You couldn't set it to do that automatically you'd have to adjust every time you wanted to change it from the previous setting. But it would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.