Jandy JE heat pump with chiller option error - Low temp threshold sensor open or not installed

zac280

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Central Georgia
I wanted to put this out there for anyone who struggled with this issue, or get further insight from anyone who's seen this. I have a JE3000TR heat pump, but I think this applies to any of the JE heat pumps with chiller option. I have an iAqualink, using the Android app, and much of what I've found is either incorrect in the manual or completely absent.

You have to use 4-wire to switch betweeen Heat Pump and Chiller modes through iAqualink. The iAqualink manual states that to switch between these modes, you do System Setup/Heat Pump. But in the app, this produces the error in the title. The expert on this unit from Zodiac told me that this button is no longer used and the error is meaningless. Also, the H/P Priority button is no longer used and does nothing when pressed.

Enabling Temp1 or Temp2 does nothing on its own. The button on the Home Screen will turn red, but the heat pump will not start. In order to turn on the heat pump, you have to go to Devices On/Off, then toggle Heat Pump on.

In Temp Settings, you have Temp1, Temp2, and Chiller. In order to heat and for the Heat Pump toggle button to be present in Devices On/Off, the Chiller temp must be set at least 5 degrees higher than Temp1 and Temp2. In order to cool, Chiller temp must be set at least 5 degrees lower than water temp, and Temp1 and Temp2 are set lower than that, like below 50. After you do this, the button in Devices On/Off switches from Heat Pump to Chiller, and then you can turn on the Chiller.

The Zodiac expert says that the Temp1 and Temp2 settings are really for if you're using a gas heater for a spa. He remoted into the app and changed the settings as I watched. It seems totally convoluted and stupid as opposed to just switching between a Heat mode and Chiller mode, as is stated in the manual, but that's how mine operates.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

I have gas heat. I use temp1 for the temp I like to swim, set at 90. I use temp2 for the lowest I want the pool to go, set at 85. I don't have a spa. When I turn on temp1 or temp2, if the pool is lower than either, the heat immediately kicks on and starts to heat.

We installed a pool this year with a gas heater only. Now that the temperatures are heating our pool to 97 degrees (in Texas), we are considering a JE3000TR. Aside from the app issue you were/are having, what do you think about it? Is it worth the money and how well does it work? Thanks!!

We installed a pool this year with a gas heater only. Now that the temperatures are heating our pool to 97 degrees (in Texas), we are considering a JE3000TR. Aside from the app issue you were/are having, what do you think about it? Is it worth the money and how well does it work? Thanks!!
I'd say if you're going to get a heat pump, go ahead and get the chiller option as it's not much more money and has been my favorite thing this summer. You get cold water coming out of your returns or water features, and I love laying back on a float letting that cold water from my waterfall run over my face. Heater is good too, let us swim more comfortably early in the season. I've figured it costs me around $35 to bring to temp with nightly lows mid to upper 50s, then $2-3 to maintain temp. I also got a solar blanket help maintain temp, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle or the cost savings compared to not using it and letting the heater run longer.

Reactions: id10tfr33
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.