Jandy iAqualink 2.0 Configuration (with VS Pump)

Effers

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Warrenton, VA
So after a year of using a Raspberry Pi 3 for some pool automation (pump, cleaner, heater, spa bubbles, and lights), decided to buy an OEM product to avoid the issues my family was having. The Pi worked well most of the time but when it didn't, I heard about it but was never close enough to help. Anyways....

Looking to buy the iAqualink 2.0 from a pool website. They sell them new at a few locations. I understand about the warranty and OK with it. My main concern is once installed ( comfortable doing this), being able to configure and to work with a Handy VS pump.I have read in multiple places that residential owners have bought and installed themselves, and have called Jandy to help with configuration. candy would remote in. and take care of everything. Has anyone gone through this? Can they share their experience? I would be grateful to hear your story.

And speaking of VS pumps, any recommendations on which Handy VS pump you have that works with iAqualink? I have an 18K fallow with attached spillover hot tub (only have a 2HP single speed pump now).

Thanks for stopping by and for your responses.

Chris

So after a year of using a Raspberry Pi 3 for some pool automation (pump, cleaner, heater, spa bubbles, and lights), decided to buy an OEM product to avoid the issues my family was having. The Pi worked well most of the time but when it didn't, I heard about it but was never close enough to help. Anyways....

Looking to buy the iAqualink 2.0 from a pool website. They sell them new at a few locations. I understand about the warranty and OK with it. My main concern is once installed ( comfortable doing this), being able to configure and to work with a Handy VS pump.I have read in multiple places that residential owners have bought and installed themselves, and have called Jandy to help with configuration. candy would remote in. and take care of everything. Has anyone gone through this? Can they share their experience? I would be grateful to hear your story.

And speaking of VS pumps, any recommendations on which Handy VS pump you have that works with iAqualink? I have an 18K fallow with attached spillover hot tub (only have a 2HP single speed pump now).

Thanks for stopping by and for your responses.

Chris
Chris,

I've been down the road with DIY install of two different OEM Automation products, first Jandy iAqualink 2.0 and more recently a Pentair Intellicenter. The Pentair wins hands down for me. It's about the same price for an equivalent system and far more expandable with it's modular design. Plus parts and accessories are readily available. Jandy parts are getting harder to find as they are discouraging internet sales.

Regardless of your automation choice I think the Pentair Intelliflo pump is the best one out there. But it's also not cheap. There are some benefits to purchase a VS pump that is same brand as automation. I had to go cheapest way possible because house spend was already way above budget from a lightning strike that did a LOT of damage. So I bought a V-Green VS motor only and converted the old 2-speed Jandy pump. Been installed and running over a month and I found control with the motor's digital inputs simple to set up.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thanks for the response.

I am really leaning towards the iAqualink as I already the Jandy Aqualink panel and should only be a $799 replacement. And the process should be straightforward. I think the Pentair Intellicenter overall would be more expensive and a larger job to swap out... Actually this is an assumption.

Chris.

As to the customer support from Jandy, I was pleased. Even though the DIY policy changed they were very helpful. Configuration was a snap and with your Raspberry PI experience I doubt you'll need any help. Just remember it can take some time for their servers to populate after you complete the configuration. I didn't realize this so I thought my system was not communicating and called customer support. If you have an issue with this they will verify communication traffic for you. Also, especially if you're finding products that are old stock at 3rd party suppliers the newer iAqualink 2.0 antennas may need a new firmware chip installed in the RS board in the power center. It's a free upgrade but they would not send it to me - had to go through an authorized dealer for the install. This was a part of my decision to switch to Pentair.

I hope this helps.

Chris

There's nothing to the Jandy configuration it could not be easier. Post here when you do it and I'll post some print screens. But I have also called Jandy at times and their tech support is great they do in fact remote in and configure whatever you want them too.

I decided to move forward with this replacement job (automation, pump, and SWG). The only thing I am replacing myself is the iAqualink IQ20-RS. I can purchase for $799 and willing to bite the bullet.

However... My first Pool Company gave me a quote to replacement the existing 2HP single speed pump that is dying on me (would rather replacement then rehab). Also, install a SWG. I get the quote from the company and literally almost died.

JANDY PLUSHP 2.7 HP VARIABLE SPEED PUMP $1,961 (installed)
APURE1400 CHLORINE GENERATOR 40K GAL $2,597 (installed)
Total out the door and swimming is $4,558. :oops:

(by the way he quoted me $1,500 for the IQ20-RS)

Is that fair? I am in Northern Virginia and I know things are more expensive but wow. Am I missing something. Any help, feedback, or advice would be greatly appreciated. And if you know a reputable pool company in Northern Virginia please message me. And if you are close and want some work.... ;)

The price is fair but none of that is hard to install yourself. If it was me I'd do it all in a heartbeat. Thing is you can't buy most Jandy stuff anymore they don't sell direct to consumers.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Here are things to think about and my thoughts on this:
  • Jandy cuts warranty to zero for DIY or online purchased equipment. The major manufacturers reduce it but still at least provide enough warranty to ensure the electronics are not defective.
  • OEM swg warranty is usually 3 years or less for the cell even when dealer installed. 3rd party swg warranty is 5-8 years and no difference if installed DIY.
  • Installed dealer price is typically 2X list part price
  • I would not go any route that ends with limited cell warranty. Cells are way better than they used to be but they still do fail and they can be big $.
  • You lose some control functionality with mixed brand automation however Jandy RS automation does have provision for Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. I don't know if this provides full capability but should be at least enough to get most of the benefit.
  • If you go with dealer I personally prefer Pentair. Most experts seem to believe their VS pump is the best on the market. That carries a lot of weight with me.
  • Experts seem divided on Hayward and Pentair swg units.
  • Even if you DIY the Pentair pump has at least enough warranty to eliminate manufacturing defect.
  • For the swg you have to go dealer installed to get full warranty with a major manufacturer or 3rd party DIY and you'll typically get better warranty with 3rd party regardless of DIY or dealer install.
  • If it were me I'd go with Pentair pump if at all possible in the budget and 3rd party SWG such as Circupool. You should be able to do this DIY well under $2500 for pump and swg. Less if you go 3rd party VS pump.
  • If you aren't comfortable with DIY I'd go with dealer installed Pentair pump and 3rd party swg with the goal to eventually replace automation with Pentair.
There's really no perfect answer for everybody. That depends on your budget and comfort with DIY plus your long term plans for the pool.

My $.02 and I hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. Using what you have posted and some product information, I am course correcting…
  • Going to go with the Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump. Looks like it has all the features I need plus I can program schedules for the pump to run to addressing the “hands-off” requirement. As far as the installation, I feel comfortable that I can handle it
  • For the SWG, the Circupool systems look like good products and easy to install
  • Going to pass on the iAqualink this season and see how things go. If I am unhappy maybe look at the Intellicenter and swap it out with my Jandy AqualinkRS

A couple of questions:
  • Can you recommend a Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump model? 16K gallon gunite pool with one skimmer 3 returns. Pool gets average use and only open from May thru October
  • From what I read but wanted to confirm, no issues programming schedules to run the Pentair pump? Trying to get it to hands-off
  • In remote access ever needed for a Circupool SWG? Once you get in dialed in, is it weekly maintenance?

Thanks again.

• Can you recommend a Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump model? 16K gallon gunite pool with one skimmer 3 returns. Pool gets average use and only open from May thru October
  • From what I read but wanted to confirm, no issues programming schedules to run the Pentair pump? Trying to get it to hands-off
  • In remote access ever needed for a Circupool SWG? Once you get in dialed in, is it weekly maintenance?
Eff,

• @Jimrahbe is an expert on Pentair pumps. I'll ask that he respond.
  • @Jimrahbe can respond to this with first-hand experience. Everything I've read indicates this is not an issue. It's definitely not an issue with my V-Green VS motor.
  • I rarely adjust most of the year. Maybe 2X per month during season changes. % run time has been 40% for a year. Run time ranges from 3 hr to 7 hr during the year. It never hurts to let FC stay a little high during transition months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
E,

The best IntelliFlo VS is the 011028.. This is the pump I recommend.. You could also get the VSF version, but I can't think of any reason you would need the variable flow option.

The pump can be run as a standalone pump with its own control panel or it can be controlled by Pentair automation.

I have the older version 011018, which is no longer being manufactured. The control head on mine is fixed, while the 011028 has a rotatable control head. With a cable, you can even mount it to a wall..

The IntelliFlo is the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thanks for responding @Jimrahbe @setsailsoon

I think a good route then is to get the Pentair IntelliFlo 011028 and the CiruPool RJ-30 Plus and install myself. I can skip the iAqualink 2.0 this season and see how the programming/scheduling/auto runs this year. If I need more automation I can get the IntelliCenter end of season an install (I have to move my existing control panel regardless).

Sound doable?

E,

Yes and no.. I like the plan, but keep in mind that the IntelliCenter cannot control the CircuPool SWCG... It can turn it on and off, but it can't "talk" with it. It can talk to the IntelliFlo and set schedules and speeds.

Forgetting about cost for a minute, the best option is to buy a pump, SWCG, and automation of the same brand.

The world will not end, doing what you want to do, I just want to make sure you understand what the automation can and cannot do..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've got Intellicenter, V-Green motor on Jandy pump and separate Circupool RJ30+ controlled exactly the way Jim describes. You do lose remote control of % power on the swgby using different manufacturers. If I had the budget I'd do exactly what Jim recommends. But this was the sacrifice I had to make to get the Intellicenter. It's an amazing automation system!

Chris

Its funny how you are going this route and I literally just this weekend replace my Aqualink RS PDA-P4 with a raspberry pi and 8channel relay board to switch 24v signal to all of the equipment. Right now, I've got it hooked up to the 7inch touch screen so I can control it locally and then I have the buttons running through Cayenne.Mydevices.com to turn on and off the GPIO pins from my the internet.

I'm curious to hear what your issues were. I know in my research for this project, a lot of people said that the raspi isn't the best as a true controller and to go with something like an arduino or an E8266 for reliability.

Before I decided to go that route, I went ahead and bought the update firmware version of my Aqualink as I was pretty much on the very first one, but then I saw the prices for those iQ20-A's and thought I might try another route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.