Jandy HP Plus impeller moving independently from driveshaft

Oct 24, 2013
Conroe, TX
I noticed one of my Jandy HP Plus pumps wasn't pumping. Normally some sort of priming issue but there was water in the basket reservoir and there was no pressure in the pump. After taking it apart and inspecting it I found that the impeller is loose and moving independently from the shaft. It 'wiggles' and turns clock- and counter clock wise without moving the shaft. I turned it both ways for about 20 turns and nothing happened (i.e. it didn't come off or tighten). I initially thought the shaft might be broken but when i look into the screw hole while moving the shaft it looks to be in tact (it is moving when I move the shaft from the other side of the pump). So now i am pretty sure that something on the impeller is broken.

ANY ideas of how i can get this impeller removed? I hope I was clear in my description, if not please ask for clarifications.

THanks!

Are you sure the shaft isn't rotating? When working on the impeller you have to lock the rear of the motor with a wrench. Then, you can loosen the impeller. After removing the reverse thread screw, of course.

If you remove the center screw, does the impeller not come off? You may have to pry it off. It sounds like the thread insert has come loose.

Just be careful not to put too much pressure on the impeller. Slowly rock it back and forth to see if you can work it out.

You can also try to put pressure on the inner sleeve by tilting the impeller while unscrewing. I believe the internal threads are no longer attached to the impeller itself.

Just be careful not to put too much pressure on the impeller. Slowly rock it back and forth to see if you can work it out.

You can also try to put pressure on the inner sleeve by tilting the impeller while unscrewing. I believe the internal threads are no longer attached to the impeller itself.
Thanks. I tried prying but didnt really get far with that.. I also tried the tilting.. I am almost thinking i should get a saw in between in the gap and start sawing it off, trying not to hit the shaft..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.