Jandy heater gets really hot in the sun - can I cover it?

poolnovice1

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I have a Jandy heater that gets extremely hot in the middle of the afternoon. I don't know what the top of it is made out of, but the material get so hot in the afternoon sun that you get burned if you touch it. I can't imagine this would be good for the longevity of the unit... Could I cover it? Alternatively I was thinking about cutting out a car sun shade and velcroing it onto the top of the Jandy unit.

Your equipment is designed to be outdoors. The heat from the sun will not cause an issue. Your car has the same issue. Do not install any kind of insulating blanket or shade to the heater itself. If you want to shade the equipment be sure that anything above the heater is at least 4' above and non flammable/meltable. If your heater is fan-induced (blower), check the owner's manual for clearances.

Your equipment is designed to be outdoors. The heat from the sun will not cause an issue. Your car has the same issue. Do not install any kind of insulating blanket or shade to the heater itself. If you want to shade the equipment be sure that anything above the heater is at least 4' above and non flammable/meltable. If your heater is fan-induced (blower), check the owner's manual for clearances.
Thanks. Maybe I'll just leave it alone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.