Jandy Aquapure 1400 Error 120

mcinlb

Aug 24, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Our Jandy Aquapure 1400 has started to throw general fault code 120. The first time it happened, I cleaned the cell and it seemed to settle down for a couple of days. Now it seems like it is happening every time we run it.

I've checked the voltage at the cell and when it is running w/o the error code, it is showing 28V. Once the error code pops up, I am seeing 34V.

Based on the serial number, it looks like the cell was manufactured in 2016 (Has an H16XXXX SN).

Is there anything else I should be checking, or is it time to pick up a new cell? Thanks!

Check these out first.

Check the amperage.

full

Did some addiitonal troubleshooting.. checked the test point on the power board. Should be 120mv, getting 121-121.5mv. Not sure how far off that is. Checked the pins, they seem to be tight except for the middle pin which has a little bit of wiggle/looseness to it.

The way these cells typically fail is the center electrode corrodes through and eventually totally separates. They cannot be repaired even though the plates may have life left in them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I don't know the exact amperage that triggers the 120 code, but the difference indicates that one polarity is failing.

It's probably time for a new cell.

You might be able to get a little bit more life if you raise the salinity, but it would only be a temporary solution.

Reactions: mcinlb
This is pretty much exactly how mine failed. One or more of the 3 leads on the cell are corroded almost completely through. They will seem totally solid until or if you take apart the cell to look. It is not serviceable, I am just pointing out that the cell is toast. It is not fixable.

Reactions: JamesW
@JamesW Amperage when 120 error comes on is ~4.6x amps
Ok, I don't know if the amperage is a single number or if it is relative to the salinity.

I agree that the cell is basically gone.

You might be able to get a few more weeks by raising the salinity, but it might not help at all.

Do you know for sure what the actual salinity is?

What does the box say for salinity?

Ok, I don't know if the amperage is a single number or if it is relative to the salinity.

I agree that the cell is basically gone.

You might be able to get a few more weeks by raising the salinity, but it might not help at all.

Do you know for sure what the actual salinity is?

What does the box say for salinity?

I am going to make a video of my cell being taken apart start to finish maybe this weekend. It should help people to understand what happens in a cell.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.