Jandy Aqualink RS4 or RS8?

That’s very detailed and broken down to the t answer. After talking to Progect manager this morning his explanation was this way: for rs4 they had sub box and 4 relay aqualink box and in order to do rs 6 they have to put only one but bigger box and it adds up to the cost. I guess I’m running out of power on my box for pool of 50amp , that’s my guess

Hmm... interesting. Mine started life as an PS4 and it has space for 8 relays. I think they only have 2 panels and doubt many people use the smaller one. I believe only one acts as your pool load center as well (and it isn't the smaller one). So if you are getting a load center, it is the larger panel. I kind of want to call BS on your "project manager".

AM-JKLUsXulU2qEKmbR_j51YH3BMpMLpSRYx_OSQQkRviJ9Yv7dtkpur7ZWDxSHrlSoS1Vv937H8GLSZCaJ6ok-1m3Lpgea6xSm2KFutDl7LD28Bx0OPx0eF78zGrA0F_CCjDFx4aNV1IGBhRCvgDOtK8SRtvQ=w1263-h947-no

Reactions: Chess1
Maybe his builder was quoting the smaller foundation power center box that only supports 4 relays and has no breakers.

To do any expansion above a RS4 system you need a bigger box. Personally I think its worth it to get the larger load center box so that you have room for future expansion.

Hmm... interesting. Mine started life as an PS4 and it has space for 8 relays. I think they only have 2 panels and doubt many people use the smaller one. I believe only one acts as your pool load center as well (and it isn't the smaller one). So if you are getting a load center, it is the larger panel. I kind of want to call BS on your "project manager".

AM-JKLUsXulU2qEKmbR_j51YH3BMpMLpSRYx_OSQQkRviJ9Yv7dtkpur7ZWDxSHrlSoS1Vv937H8GLSZCaJ6ok-1m3Lpgea6xSm2KFutDl7LD28Bx0OPx0eF78zGrA0F_CCjDFx4aNV1IGBhRCvgDOtK8SRtvQ=w1263-h947-no
I’m going to have pro electrician to come out this Thursday to give me an estimate for all this, and if I can use other ways to get my lights for landscape later and how much it’s going to cost me. hope my Progect Manager can hold till Thursday on this. They started the shortcrete today so maybe I have time until then. He also want is to be paid right away like today with check or credit card(3% more understandable)
Maybe his builder was quoting the smaller foundation power center box that only supports 4 relays and has no breakers.

To do any expansion above a RS4 system you need a bigger box. Personally I think its worth it to get the larger load center box so that you have room for future expansion.
I think that’s the case!

Thanks! Will give them a call! Appreciate your answer!

My understanding is that if you get a RS6 panel, that comes with 6 Hp relays (to connect lights, pump, etc) and a PCB that is universal to either RS6 or RS8. The PCB has the relays for valve actuators, temperature sensors, pump controls, etc.

If you just get the RS4 panel and add the RS6 or RS8 PCB then you will only have 4 Hp relays. That is what I was informed by Jandy when I was deciding to upgrade my system and was confirmed by a local installer. This was a year ago. Since I already had 6 Hp relays which covers all my needs now, I just upgraded the PCB which also handled the new 3.0 Antenna. I have room in my panel to add 2 additional Hp Relays to make a total of 8 if I needed it.

In the picture below, the PCB sits on top in front of the Transformer (the transformer powers the PCB). The middle section is the Hp Relays (either 4, 6 or 8 relays) and the bottom is the power center for circuit breakers (or sometimes those are put in a separate sub-panel).
View attachment 384843
I don't believe this information is correct at least as of this year. The RS4, RS6, and RS8 all have the same exact board with the same number of Aux ports available, the only difference would be the CPU that plugs into the back of the PCB that controls if you can or can't use the additional ports. When you purchase the power center, it comes with 4 relays regardless of which RS4/6/8 you get and then you can buy additional relays if needed at time of purchase. There are a total of 8 relay slots available in the power center.

So if somebody purchase the RS4 and changed their mind later (like me) and needed more auxiliary capabilities, they would need to simply buy a new CPU for either RS6 or RS8. They will already have 4 relays and can purchase more if needed. I paid $15ea on eBay. If they need more auxiliary ports but don't need relays, such as wanting to control more JVA actuators, then they just need to upgrade to RS6 or RS8 and then buy Jandy JVA RelayBoards which plug into the Aux ports. There's physically no difference between the RS4/6/8 except a single CPU chip on the back which controls how many Aux ports you can use.

That's exactly how I've seen every RS4 start off with. Here's an example or an RS4 as well that had the CPU upgraded to an RS8.

8 relay slots available, only 6 used. 2 extra relays purchased on top of what the load center came with.

Attachments

• PXL_20211113_170650702.jpg
    PXL_20211113_170650702.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 37
There's physically no difference between the RS4/6/8 except a single CPU chip on the back which controls how many Aux ports you can use.
This makes sense as I was told to purchase a complete PCB and no mention that you could purchase a CPU to change out. They did not differentiate a PCB with a different CPU for a RS4/6/8. However, I was moving from a PDA system to the wireless antenna for PC & app control so I was focused on that capability which needed a new PCB for connection of the new antenna and a RS485 cable for VS pump.

If he's going to be installing a brand new RS4, then after he's done you could buy and RS6 or RS8 CPU board on ebay. Everything is the same between the 4, 6, and 8 except the CPU board. I bought the latest revision T.2 board on eBay earlier this year for $475.00 and turned my RS4 to an RS8. Prices have gone up since then but you'll still save more than what he is quoting you at.

$1,000 is gouging. You can get the entire board (which isn't needed because all you would need is the CPU) for less than what he wants and swap it out (it's a DIY install).

Thanks for your input! Sounds like a good plan! Will let you know how it’s gonna go. I’m asking my neighbor the electrician pro to come out this Thursday for his opinion and I’ll ask him if we can do it this way! Happy holidays!!!

I don't believe this information is correct at least as of this year. The RS4, RS6, and RS8 all have the same exact board with the same number of Aux ports available, the only difference would be the CPU that plugs into the back of the PCB that controls if you can or can't use the additional ports. When you purchase the power center, it comes with 4 relays regardless of which RS4/6/8 you get and then you can buy additional relays if needed at time of purchase. There are a total of 8 relay slots available in the power center.

So if somebody purchase the RS4 and changed their mind later (like me) and needed more auxiliary capabilities, they would need to simply buy a new CPU for either RS6 or RS8. They will already have 4 relays and can purchase more if needed. I paid $15ea on eBay. If they need more auxiliary ports but don't need relays, such as wanting to control more JVA actuators, then they just need to upgrade to RS6 or RS8 and then buy Jandy JVA RelayBoards which plug into the Aux ports. There's physically no difference between the RS4/6/8 except a single CPU chip on the back which controls how many Aux ports you can use.
Thanks for the up to date info! That is what I thought I understood but seems like my guy is telling me the way that I have to have a bigger box for RS6 and it’s different. He even showed me pictures of installed aqualink and another box next to it ( I think that’s were the all wire come together and it was closed not even open so I really don’t know what’s inside or how many of what it has. The only difference I could tell it was a bigger box, the shape maybe was different as well. I also sent him pictures of the aqualink rs boxes with part number and he said it’s not the right ones and it’s different but would discuss the right part number. That’s why I told him I need to make sure and now he is all mad because he spent 1 hour explaining that to me and I am still not sold on it. He also said that I signed the change order already and wants his money now! Because I’m the print said: the payment is due at shortcrete and he didn’t tell me that it’s today, was cut by surprise that the guys showed up to do it! Originally, 4 days ago he had it set on 15th. Thats not was I expected but at this point just venting. Thanks for reading! Live and learn! For sure I wouldn’t run my business this way!

That's exactly how I've seen every RS4 start off with. Here's an example or an RS4 as well that had the CPU upgraded to an RS8.

8 relay slots available, only 6 used. 2 extra relays purchased on top of what the load center came with.
Thank you for the picture and your time! I’m still confused on why I need to expand my 50amp to 70 as well. I’m sorry for being a bit confused never done in before but your explanation is very simple and I do understand well. I think I’m just have to learn the hard way and it’s ok! Happy holidays!

Thanks for the up to date info! That is what I thought I understood but seems like my guy is telling me the way that I have to have a bigger box for RS6 and it’s different. He even showed me pictures of installed aqualink and another box next to it ( I think that’s were the all wire come together and it was closed not even open so I really don’t know what’s inside or how many of what it has. The only difference I could tell it was a bigger box, the shape maybe was different as well. I also sent him pictures of the aqualink rs boxes with part number and he said it’s not the right ones and it’s different but would discuss the right part number. That’s why I told him I need to make sure and now he is all mad because he spent 1 hour explaining that to me and I am still not sold on it. He also said that I signed the change order already and wants his money now! Because I’m the print said: the payment is due at shortcrete and he didn’t tell me that it’s today, was cut by surprise that the guys showed up to do it! Originally, 4 days ago he had it set on 15th. Thats not was I expected but at this point just venting. Thanks for reading! Live and learn! For sure I wouldn’t run my business this way!
“I also sent him pictures of the aqualink rs boxes with part number and he said it’s not the right ones and it’s different but would discuss the right part number” he answered me this: -“ It’s not a rs4. RS is just the board. It’s a different part number that comes with the board, antenna, relays, and actuators. “ Please, let me know if we are talking about same thing! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In normal times that is correct. With the current supply chain disruptions there are many pricing anomalies. If the RS6 is in higher demand and harder to obtain it can have a premium price. It also depends on the supply sources a PB uses.

It is difficult to know what the street price of Jandy equipment should be since Jandy has taken almost all their equipment off the Internet and retail channels.

I suggest the OP call on the phone to Polytec Pools and see if they will quote pricing and availability for a RS4 and RS6 system.

I agree there should be no additional installation charge.
Are we talking about that comes with the board, antenna, relays, and actuators. Sorry, don’t know the part number! Thanks!

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. The only time I have seen the smaller box used is with small systems that do not need a load center. They use the existing load center in the house and just run wires without outside circuits (no subpanel). That would be highly unusual. What exactly is on your contract? Hopefully he is indeed selling you an Aqualink RS. You are probably better off talking with the electrician I am sure he knows what you are getting.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. The only time I have seen the smaller box used is with small systems that do not need a load center. They use the existing load center in the house and just run wires without outside circuits (no subpanel). That would be highly unusual. What exactly is on your contract? Hopefully he is indeed selling you an Aqualink RS. You are probably better off talking with the electrician I am sure he knows what you are getting.
Yes, will be interesting to me too. My PM said this morning that he ordered RS6 with bigger sub panel ($2100) And if I want to cancel that would be 15% restocking fee. Will see!

Wow. What a mess you've gotten yourself into with this contractor.

PoolGate is right. Those smaller boxes are used when there is already a sub-panel out there with breakers already supplying power to the pool equipment and then that would wire into this box if you're doing a retrofit, but none of that has anything to do with it being an RS4/6/8. They may also be used as auxiliary power centers when you need to add more relays that do not fit in the existing power center. An RS4/6/8 can work with any 3 of these boxes. The caveat here is if you get a 6612F then there's only room for 4 relays. If you need more, then you'll need a bigger box such as the 6613. Some people may not. For example, I have an RS8 and I only use 4 relays, because I use the additional Aux's on the RS8 to control valve actuators via relay boards, so I don’t need the extra 3HP relays. That means I could technically use the smaller 6612F box with a separate sub-panel but the best solution which every builder down here uses is a 6614-LD regardless of what RS4/6/8 is purchased.

6612F = This is a small size power center that comes with 4 relays and has no more room to fit additional. It does not have high voltage breakers so this would only be used when a sub-panel is nearby already supplying power to the equipment.

6613 = This is a medium size power center that comes with 4 relays and has room for up to 8 (just purchase Jandy 6581 separately if you need more) . Just like the 6612F, it does not have high voltage breakers so this would only be used when a breaker box is nearby already supplying power to the equipment.

6614-LD = This is the most common load center you see for installs. It has a low voltage area on the left side to fit plenty of addon boards such as JVA relays and smart JVAs. There is a high voltage side that has 12 slots to fit Siemens breakers. It comes with 4 relays and can fit up to 8 on that side (just purchase Jandy 6581 separately if you need more). You'd wire all your high voltage into this box as it would be a sub-panel for your entire pool.

If you have a sub-panel already by your equipment pad or your equipment pad is your main breaker box then 6612F or 6613 will work for you, with the smaller one with only 4 relay spots and the larger that can hold up to 8. Either of those will work with RS4, 6 or 8. You just need to decide how many 3HP relays you will use.

If this was my pool, regardless of if I had a sub-panel already by my equipment pad or not, I would go for the 6614-LD. If I already had a sub-panel then I’d rip out the old sub-panel, and replace it with the Jandy one for a much cleaner install all in a single box. There’s not much work required to do that.

There are times when a 6612F or 6613 makes sense, such as if your pool equipment breakers are in a meter main on the outside of your house (local code may vary) and you do not need a sub-panel but that's rare since pool equipment is typically set back too far from the meter main combo panel.

PoolGate is right. Those smaller boxes are used when there is already a sub-panel out there with breakers already supplying power to the pool equipment and then that would wire into this box if you're doing a retrofit, but none of that has anything to do with it being an RS4/6/8. They may also be used as auxiliary power centers when you need to add more relays that do not fit in the existing power center. An RS4/6/8 can work with any 3 of these boxes. The caveat here is if you get a 6612F then there's only room for 4 relays. If you need more, then you'll need a bigger box such as the 6613. Some people may not. For example, I have an RS8 and I only use 4 relays, because I use the additional Aux's on the RS8 to control valve actuators via relay boards, so I don’t need the extra 3HP relays. That means I could technically use the smaller 6612F box with a separate sub-panel but the best solution which every builder down here uses is a 6614-LD regardless of what RS4/6/8 is purchased.

6612F = This is a small size power center that comes with 4 relays and has no more room to fit additional. It does not have high voltage breakers so this would only be used when a sub-panel is nearby already supplying power to the equipment.

6613 = This is a medium size power center that comes with 4 relays and has room for up to 8 (just purchase Jandy 6581 separately if you need more) . Just like the 6612F, it does not have high voltage breakers so this would only be used when a breaker box is nearby already supplying power to the equipment.

6614-LD = This is the most common load center you see for installs. It has a low voltage area on the left side to fit plenty of addon boards such as JVA relays and smart JVAs. There is a high voltage side that has 12 slots to fit Siemens breakers. It comes with 4 relays and can fit up to 8 on that side (just purchase Jandy 6581 separately if you need more). You'd wire all your high voltage into this box as it would be a sub-panel for your entire pool.

If you have a sub-panel already by your equipment pad or your equipment pad is your main breaker box then 6612F or 6613 will work for you, with the smaller one with only 4 relay spots and the larger that can hold up to 8. Either of those will work with RS4, 6 or 8. You just need to decide how many 3HP relays you will use.

If this was my pool, regardless of if I had a sub-panel already by my equipment pad or not, I would go for the 6614-LD. If I already had a sub-panel then I’d rip out the old sub-panel, and replace it with the Jandy one for a much cleaner install all in a single box. There’s not much work required to do that.

There are times when a 6612F or 6613 makes sense, such as if your pool equipment breakers are in a meter main on the outside of your house (local code may vary) and you do not need a sub-panel but that's rare since pool equipment is typically set back too far from the meter main combo panel.
Great overview of the different panels.
This helped me confirm that I have the 6613 box because I have 6 Hp Relays (room to add 2 more if needed) but no room (or slots) for breakers. I upgraded the board to the iQ30RS to have access via PC and phone app. My sub-panel is 60ft away in my garage next to the main house panel. The subpanel has a breaker for each of my 3 pumps and 1 for lights and 1 spare. My heater and air blower tap off of 2 of the pumps for power via the 3Hp relays. This was done 20 years ago by the original builder.
So thanks for providing a detailed overview.

I have to see it to believe it lol thanks for the detailed answer and advise! Will follow through with this info, it’s makin a bit more sense to me the way you explained it!

Some updates! Had electrician come out this morning. He happened to be the one who installed the panel for a swimspa back in 2018 that was there when we got a house. He was the one who put a panel50/50 amp. So according to him I can hook up my lights for landscape and other projects like sauna and outlets from it. It’s just will not be automated, use it with a switch. As I thought we have enough power as is if we do RS 4, just will not be any extra hook ups on it. We have 2-2.7 hp pumps, 1-1.7hp and led lights . That should fit in 50 amp panel the my pool contractor quoted in the beginning. The only thing I don’t know yet , where my pool contractor is going to get into a main panel. My assumption is where the spa was. So if he does it, would he has to get rid of my existing sub box (50/50 amp) and hat spa was connected?! My electrician said: “They can install specialty Breakers to condense the breakers that are existing in order to make space. They are not electricians I would not be surprised if they tell you they cannot do that”

Some updates! Had electrician come out this morning. He happened to be the one who installed the panel for a swimspa back in 2018 that was there when we got a house. He was the one who put a panel50/50 amp. So according to him I can hook up my lights for landscape and other projects like sauna and outlets from it. It’s just will not be automated, use it with a switch. As I thought we have enough power as is if we do RS 4, just will not be any extra hook ups on it. We have 2-2.7 hp pumps, 1-1.7hp and led lights . That should fit in 50 amp panel the my pool contractor quoted in the beginning. The only thing I don’t know yet , where my pool contractor is going to get into a main panel. My assumption is where the spa was. So if he does it, would he has to get rid of my existing sub box (50/50 amp) and hat spa was connected?! My electrician said: “They can install specialty Breakers to condense the breakers that are existing in order to make space. They are not electricians I would not be surprised if they tell you they cannot do that”

There are 1/2 thickness breakers to allow an existing breaker to be 2 breakers. They are designed to extend the capacity of load centers that are out of breaker space. Not sure I would call them "specialty" though. Can you post pics of all where the electrical is going to be located including your existing boxes?

There are 1/2 thickness breakers to allow an existing breaker to be 2 breakers. They are designed to extend the capacity of load centers that are out of breaker space. Not sure I would call them "specialty" though. Can you post pics of all where the electrical is going to be located including your existing boxes?
Sure, I’ll do. I tried earlier but the pictures are to large to upload. It worked! First pic is my main panel and second is the 50/50 box used to have swim spa hooked

Attachments

• F65315B7-8A83-4D5A-A7F9-C53E48B725EE.jpeg
    F65315B7-8A83-4D5A-A7F9-C53E48B725EE.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5A278FB1-9168-40F0-B74B-4F2F40002328.jpeg
    5A278FB1-9168-40F0-B74B-4F2F40002328.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.