I've Tried But What IS it? Mustard Algae or Pollen or?

Litespeed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Twin Cities MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've had this brown stuff in the pool, in patches, particularly along the seams, and on the sunny side of the pool - nothing on the shady side, nothing on the walls. This has pretty much been going over the past week.

I performed an OCLT test last night and the chlorine went from 8.0 to 5.5 this morning. All other test results have been normal for my pool over the past several days. Ph has stayed at 7.6 throughout the several days. Combined Chlorine was 0.5 last night and 0.5 this morning. It is almost always 0.0 or 0.5. CYA is at about 50.

Other facts:
1. I have a pool cover which is always covering the pool when we're not swimming.
2. Temps have been in the 90's here (Mpls area) for the last few days.
3. The brown stuff feels gritty, not as gritty as sand, but gritty.
4. I can move the brown stuff just waving my hand above it in the water and it will move away in a cloud of brown.
5. When I ran the Dolphin pool cleaner, the filter caught the brown stuff, and again, when I rubbed between my fingers, it had a gritty feel to it.

Thank you.

You’re describing perfectly some fine sediment that collected in bunches on our vinyl floor. Gritty and not slimy. In the end I deemed it to be very fine inorganic soil components. Probably silt. Our pool collected a lot of grass and dirt from the yard. Maybe yours is the same.

But we could pass an OCLT. Sounds like you are not. SLAM as was suggested.

Reactions: Litespeed
Here is a picture for a sample of what is on my pool bottom. I’ve shocked since and am monitoring. I was surprised to see some reappearance just a few hours after the first time I brought it up to shock level. I also saw some when cleaning the skimmer and when I rubbed it between my fingers it felt gritty. It seems like it’s not algae but no doubt that chlorine is being used up. Note that it is lighter colored than it appears in this picture. More medium brownish than it appears here.
IMG_2607.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.