I've got absolutely no clue where to start!

Not a whole lot of updates,
Probably going to get a lot more rain so hopefully my pool refills some.

I have been checking my water level mark, and have lost no water since turning off the system.
I checked FC earlier and it had dropped to 4 after rain/harsh sun, added 3gals - i slowly walked around the whole pool and splashed it out in the middle, then brushed the entire thing to help it move.

I got the diving board off, but the base... is an issue. The metal bolts inside are either totally disintegrated and crumbled like paper (never really saw anything like that), or so rusted and fused together that it just WONT come off. In addition, it seems to be held on some other way because it. will. not. budge. at. all. There is only one actual bolt left that has fused itself down, the rest fell apart, so I feel like it should wiggle at least.

My pool AND filter arrived - I wasn't expecting filter until Monday - so if it stops raining maybe we can do something there. I find it funny I decided to order these items 1 night before this happens :rolleyes: even if there is a leak in a pipe somewhere, I think that the pump isn't safe (it was like 2943823095 degrees and had a sewage like smell coming from it), and I think from what I've read that filter is really undersized. I believe it is only 17 inches and 100lb of sand. Plus, the crazy leaks it has.

Problem being the equipment pad is almost non existent - it's so tiny

So my plan so far is:
-Keep up with the FC as usual but start brushing a lot more until I can get the pump on. I was a little bummed out earlier (okay a lot I was almost crying on the phone with my mom), and let the FC get away from me down to 4.
-Install new pump, filter, pvc.
-HOPE HOPE HOPE that maybe my filter had sprung another leak and I was losing more water then previous days
-Try to turn on the system with the skimmer off as originally and see if I lose water.
-If I don't, open the skimmer.
-If I do, well, figure out if we can fix it.
-If it only happens when the skimmer valve is on, maybe close skimmer until next year and just run on main drain. Is there any harm, other then having to brush more, and cleanup taking longer?
-Start drinking

Last edited:
Not a whole lot of updates,
Probably going to get a lot more rain so hopefully my pool refills some.
Love the positive start! With everything else going on, if you guys can locate a water source to top off the pool this summer, you will need it I presume :)
I have been checking my water level mark, and have lost no water since turning off the system.
I checked FC earlier and it had dropped to 4 after rain/harsh sun, added 3gals - i slowly walked around the whole pool and splashed it out in the middle, then brushed the entire thing to help it move.
It didn't crash/bottom out! This is still good! I was curious if you felt like testing a jug of the 10% out, now that FC is holding, you'd know for sure if it is "bad" or just that issue.
I got the diving board off, but the base... is an issue. The metal bolts inside are either totally disintegrated and crumbled like paper (never really saw anything like that), or so rusted and fused together that it just WONT come off. In addition, it seems to be held on some other way because it. will. not. budge. at. all. There is only one actual bolt left that has fused itself down, the rest fell apart, so I feel like it should wiggle at least.
Does someone have a handheld disc grinder that can just level the bolt(s)? Or less aggressive is WD40?
My pool AND filter arrived - I wasn't expecting filter until Monday - so if it stops raining maybe we can do something there. I find it funny I decided to order these items 1 night before this happens :rolleyes: even if there is a leak in a pipe somewhere, I think that the pump isn't safe (it was like 2943823095 degrees and had a sewage like smell coming from it), and I think from what I've read that filter is really undersized. I believe it is only 17 inches and 100lb of sand. Plus, the crazy leaks it has.

Problem being the equipment pad is almost non existent - it's so tiny
Is it better to setup a full pad now or could you do some sort of temp patio w/pavers? Agreed that the (old) pump & filter are shot :D I think you'll be impressed with how fast the pool starts to turn once you can properly filter!
So my plan so far is:
-Keep up with the FC as usual but start brushing a lot more until I can get the pump on. I was a little bummed out earlier (okay a lot I was almost crying on the phone with my mom), and let the FC get away from me down to 4.
Perfect! I'll still say, the FC didn't bottom out, that's a good sign!
-Install new pump, filter, pvc.
:whoot::goodjob:
-HOPE HOPE HOPE that maybe my filter had sprung another leak and I was losing more water then previous days
That is a possibility...
-Try to turn on the system with the skimmer off as originally and see if I lose water.
-If I don't, open the skimmer.
-If I do, well, figure out if we can fix it.
Strong plan!
-If it only happens when the skimmer valve is on, maybe close skimmer until next year and just run on main drain. Is there any harm, other then having to brush more, and cleanup taking longer?
Not really, the floaties on top of the water won't get cleaned, but if you hand skim, you'll be fine :)
-Start drinking
((air hugs)) As long as it's not the pool water, you might be okay :cheers:

I second the grinder to get the braces up and out. Once they are cut off we can work on ideas to make that area pretty. I have a couple of ideas already.

I so understand how you are feeling. I was in the same boat except I had not found TFP yet so the pool store was taking my wallet for a ride. I kept telling them I could not even see the bottom of the pool. "Oh just add this then an hour later add this and it should clear right up." After the THIRD trip to buy MORE stuff I had had enough and my wallet was empty so I just drained the pool! At that point I did not care if I ruined it. I had to do something! Once I drained it I found LOTS of leaves! I got them all up and out then started the refill of my pool.

Of course I still had not found TFP so went back to the pool store to learn how to maintain my water :roll: Those trips cost me my liner!! I now know my pH, TA, CYA got jacked up that my liner "rotted" in the water!! I was in the pool brushing the algae off the wall again when I felt something under my foot. I looked at it and played with it with my toes.......well let me tell you that was a huge mistake!!! It was a brittle crack in the liner and once it started to give the whole bottom of the pool went as did the water almost taking me with!!!

It took a little while for my hubby to find TFP and talk me into getting another pool! Now I LOVE my pool and am a MOD here.........life is funny like that!

I shared this to let you know you are NOT alone! We are here for you and will do all we can to help you come to love your pool!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Reactions: arosas
Dad is on the way with knowledge and power tools ??

I’m thinking of temp pavers around the pad for now just to get everything up and running again. I’d love to redo it and maybe stick a light out there... eventually!

I really appreciate the story Kim ? Sorry that happened to your first pool. I am happy I found TFP before I ever touched mine!!!

Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified Amazon.com : Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Garden & Outdoor

This is the replacement pump.
It’s VS, I was going to just go with a 2 speed but I need 115 volt out there and was having a big issue finding 2 speed 115, also in the end my energy company gives a $300 rebate on VS and a much smaller rebate on 2 speed so the Vs was only $20 more taking all that into consideration then the few 2 speeds I saw that fit all my needs.

So i’m wondering when we turn it on, what speed should I be using it for now?

So i’m wondering when we turn it on, what speed should I be using it for now?
the lowest setting that moves water at first, then higher to vacuum :)

From another thread ?
I run my VSP 24x7 but I also have a SWG. The lowest I run it is 2000 for around 22 hours and 2 hours of 3000. I was at 1500 and that was ok but any lower and my SWG complains. When the heater kicks on it goes to 3000 as well.

Fc: 10.5
CC: 1

I added bleach around 11pm and now it’s 11am, so fc held quite high.

I was hoping with the pump off, the water might settle but it’s still murky.

I question how well my sand filter was working before, if at all! I think there is so much dead stuff in there not getting filtered.

I question how well my sand filter was working before, if at all! I think there is so much dead stuff in there not getting filtered.
I think you are on the right track. When FC starts holding but there isn't much improvement that points to the filter not working properly.

Diving board gone!
Got a hose going!
New equipment going in!
My feet hurt!
THANK GOODNESS FOR DADS!

IMG_0659.jpgIMG_0661.jpgIMG_0660.jpg

The sand in the old filter, I am not sure how it is suppose to look. But here that is

IMG_0644.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything is back on. I’ve never seen that much circulation in the water! Even when the rpm on that pump is on the lowest setting there is more movement then before. And that pump is so quiet on low I thought it broke LOL

No more leaking equipment! Yay!

I currently have the skimmer line open awaiting to see if the water level holds.

I think it was posted earlier but that leaf eater attachment that you can hook to the pole and a hose works great at getting the big debris off the bottom. I had been scooping out Crud with the net for a week and was sure I had gotten it all, even though I couldn't see down there, but when I sent the leaf eater down for the first time it came up with the bag completely filled!

Been about 3 hours since refill and everything got hooked up:

Fc 9.5
CC 1
PH 7.2
CYA is possibly around 10. The tube was really cloudy at 20 but dot visible. I’m gonna wait on that and redo tomorrow in the same lighting conditions as before

I got my water level to where it was barely skimming my top step thinking it’d be a good place for a quick glance on water level and so far it’s not dropped below there.

I’m wondering if I should bump the pump up for now? Maybe not full boar. My water is moving but not super quickly. I think it’s gojng at 1400 rpm right now. Just not sure what’s the best speed for swamp cleaning!

I’m wondering if I should bump the pump up for now? Maybe not full boar. My water is moving but not super quickly. I think it’s at 1400 rpm right now. Just not sure what’s the best speed for swamp cleaning!
This is the fun part :) You get to try different settings and find out what settings work for your pool! ?
Now that I have a hose I may try the leaf eater!
+1 can't wait to see pics of what that collects!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.