Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Opened crystal clear last year. It went from winter to summer in one weekend here. I’m about a week 1/2 late rolling the cover off. Pool company is coming in a week to start everything up- (I know- but we do t do that ourselves ). Anyway, I’d like to throw my bot in but that creeps me out not know what down there. Is it even worth putting chlorine in when pumps not running. I’m afraid not to. But also know I can’t get a proper read. What is my best coarse of action here?

IMG_5719.jpegIMG_5720.jpegIMG_5721.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The cover is 90% of the work. Gravity floods the plumbing and you have to hand tighten some drain plugs and screw on the return fittings.

Save big coin and DIY.

Anyway, I’d like to throw my bot
You may.
Is it even worth putting chlorine in when pumps not running. I’m afraid not to. But also know I can’t get a proper read.
That's the problem. It needs to be well mixed. You can add 5ppm a day and brush and run the robot. It'll help it from getting worse.

But you already did the hard part so I'm a hardcore vote for finish the easy part of the job.

The cover is 90% of the work. Gravity floods the plumbing and you have to hand tighten some drain plugs and screw on the return fittings.

Save big coin and DIY.

You may.

That's the problem. It needs to be well mixed. You can add 5ppm a day and brush and run the robot. It'll help it from getting worse.

But you already did the hard part so I'm a hardcore vote for finish the easy part of the job.
Hmm. So we have 2 pool companies in our area. Both a but of a pain. Our will only service us IF we use them for opening and closing. That is how they make their continued revenue. So, w choose to do that in case we need something major- 😬. Could we learn- probably. But too busy.

Ok. I’m going to leave my cover off. And they WILL show up and throw shock in the pool 🤷‍♀️😬.

No personal experience here (we never close), but I've read it's risky for the robot to work in a pool with lots of debris on the bottom. It's not designed to deal with that. But if you're confident the cover prevented a very dirty bottom, good to go... If in doubt, you can scrape the bottom with your net and see what comes up.

That's where I'm at. It was covered all winter. It's not a many year foreclosure with its own ecosystem and trees growing in it.
Yes. I did a bunch of netting today. Auto cover keeps most debris out. Leaves and worms find their way in! But nothing too big.

.. worms find their way in! But nothing too big.
Great. Funny you mention worms. I end up netting a few dozen every time we have a hard rain. Robot gets them eventually, if I don't. Kind of gross. The odd thing is I've never seen one traversing the coping even though - out of curiosity - I've gone out in the rain a few times to look. Magic...

Reactions: Newdude
I feel you. I missed the window on opening clear this year too. We open our pool ourselves but have a company close it and opening it is super easy. I had about 1/2 a home depot bucket worth of worms in the bottom of my pool. Super gross so I did net those out and I did it blindly which sucks but I didn't want to throw the robot in there to get them. He did some of the work when I wasn't finding much with the net anymore, mostly because I was just pushing them around.
So scoop out what you can, then use the robot. Add chlorine as recommended and stir with the brush until you get equipment running. Good luck!

I would not let the company do anything to your pool chemicals just de winterize & start up the pool. You will need to the
SLAM Process to clear the pool.
Until they come & get things going you can throw that bot in (there shouldn’t be any big stuff because of the cover)
& use the submersible cover pump you have to circulate & add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day in the stream of the pump to keep the swamp from getting worse.

I would not let the company do anything to your pool chemicals just de winterize & start up the pool. You will need to the
SLAM Process to clear the pool.
Until they come & get things going you can throw that bot in (there shouldn’t be any big stuff because of the cover)
& use the submersible cover pump you have to circulate & add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day in the stream of the pump to keep the swamp from getting worse.
Oh! That’s a great idea. You must see my new cover pump that doesn’t have the hose attached yet. Are you saying drip that it and let it just push water around the pool?

Also… I’m sitting here getting ready to read about opening. Contemplating…..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m sitting here getting ready to read about opening. Contemplating…..
Cliff notes :

1) remove gizmos and return plugs
1A) install return fittings
2) install equipment drain plugs
3) fill pump basket with water to inlet pipe
4) open all valves
5) turn on main panel breakers and pool panel breakers
6) let er rip.

* check your pump basket for drain plugs and return fittings. That's where most companies leave them.

****** literally. That's it above. Some lefty loosey/ righty tighty, by hand. And flip a couple switches.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Oh! That’s a great idea. You must see my new cover pump that doesn’t have the hose attached yet. Are you saying drip that it and let it just push water around the pool?

Also… I’m sitting here getting ready to read about opening. Contemplating…..
Yes you can just drop the pump in to help circulate the water while you add liquid chlorine. Or brush while pouring up to you.

But seriously- opening is even easier than closing.
To add to @Newdude ’s directions- also fill the pool to the appropriate level of course 😉
When you are the closer & opener you get to do so on your schedule not someone elses so it’s much easier to close late enough & open early enough. When water temp is below 60 - 65 degrees.
Many here prescribe to soft closing & opening where you cover the pool to avoid debris but have it running & are chlorinating when the temps aren’t quite cold enough yet/anymore .
Example: My pool has been running for a month on a very reduced schedule with the cover on because katkins & its too cold to swim in but above the mid 60’s.

You did it !!! :party: :salut:

The SWG needs to be plugged in, or the switch / breaker for its timer turned on. Follow the cord back to where it goes.

You did it !!! :party: :salut:

The SWG needs to be plugged in, or the switch / breaker for its timer turned on. Follow the cord back to where it goes.
And what about the flow on my heater though? I’m concerned when I turned it on and I’m not seeing any water come through that flow

Also, my saltwater generator is run through my ScreenLogic app. It says it’s on. I have followed the cord and I can’t tell where it goes. It goes into the ground right here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 7
I know it won’t run if the water is not warm enough and my water is only low 60s which is why are fired up my heater, but then I was paranoid when I didn’t see any water flow through that flow coming out of my heater

And what about the flow on my heater though?
I think it's flowing without any turbulence to 'see'. If it's flowing well to the pool, it's going through the cell, seeing how there is no heater bypass or such. Yours has to go through the cell.
Also, my saltwater generator is run through my ScreenLogic app. It says it’s on.
Ok. Let's call you @Jimrahbe and @ajw22 for help turning it on. It may go to inside the automation panel. Or it has its own box like this and the cord plugs in the bottom right corner

Screenshot_20240512_201555_Gallery.jpg

Show us picture of the Intellichlor cell and your pool equipment.

What lights are on the cell?

What is your salt level and how are you testing it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support