Issues With Chlorine

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm in the process of opening my pool (currently a green swamp) and am having some issues with my chlorine. I bought THIS below chlorine from Home Depot today which is supposed to be 10% Sodium Hypochloride. I added 3 gallons to my pool, waited 20-30 minutes and tested and had a FC of 1. Added 3 more gallons and still have an FC of 1 (should have shot up to around 12 with the first dose according to the PoolMath app). I then became suspicious of the chlorine and began sniffing it to see if it smelled strong (which it didn't). I even mixed around a 5-1 mixture of water to chlorine and tested it with the kit and it just stayed the yellowish color of the product.

Went back to a different HD and swapped it out for a new batch and it seems like it's more of the same. Am I losing my mind or is this stuff just not a good product? I've used it in the past with great success and the date shows it as being less than a month since it was made (so it's fresh). Two different batches from two different stores with two different batch dates and even stored in two different types of jugs (one solid white plastic, one heavy duty milk jug looking thing).

I've tried 2 different bottles of DPD powder and a different chlorine test and they all say roughly the same.

I've now poured 7 gallons into the pool in the last 2 hours and my FC level doesn't seem to be climbing. Is this stuff not chlorine anymore? What am I missing because I'm about to go nuts right now....

Also, after I do the FC test, if I let the water sit in the test jar for like 10 minutes it turns bright pink (like I'd expect when I'm testing). Is that normal?

Have you run a CC test after a FC test of the pool water? What does the pool water look like? Does it smell?

I didn't before but just did. FC is now 5 and CC is 0.5.

This has me thinking the second batch is actually ok as I only poured 1 gallon of that in. I just added 2 more to see if that brings the FC up. Will let you know.

I'm just surprised it doesn't smell strongly of CL. Normally when I SLAM I can smell the pool when I walk out the door.

Pool water is cloudy and I have a TON of algae. Water doesn't have a strong smell.

OK -- great. I was afraid you had ammonia. Or you did, and the chlorine you added that disappeared quickly took care of it.

Follow the SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.