Is this the correct salt?

Unless somebody has any tips, I'm going to run the pump up to 2000 RPMs or so, cut open the bag, pour it out directly into the pool, walking along the coping of just the shallow end, then brush it around until it disappears. I figure dumping any into the deep end will just be that much harder to brush.

Nope, next time I'll do it the exact opposite way! Broadcasting it around the entire perimeter was just more work. Didn't seem to get it to dissolve any faster. That's probably more about time than location. I ended up sweeping it into a pile and just working it around like that.

Next time I'll dump it into the deep end, which in my pool is very bowl-like, then sweep it as if to gather it all into one small bump. Then just work the bump with short strokes until it's gone.

The brand I used worked fine. Took about half an hour.

I'll run the pump 24 and check the salt level in a couple days. Then add as need to get to 2800-2900...

Oh, I like the sound of that. And remember (if you've been following along at all), my fill water is CH-zero, so I should be good for quite a while! ;)

Check the salinity of the water coming out of your softener if you haven’t already. If you can catch it right after a regen cycle that will tell you what the max salinity of you auto fill line would be. Towards the end of the softener cycle (just before regen), the salinity should be close to whatever the supply line salinity is.

Check the salinity of the water coming out of your softener if you haven’t already. If you can catch it right after a regen cycle that will tell you what the max salinity of you auto fill line would be. Towards the end of the softener cycle (just before regen), the salinity should be close to whatever the supply line salinity is.

I did all that testing last month (remember the rain water experiment?). In addition to the softener, I have a whole-house filter, too. Both the test of the city water and the test of the water after the filter/softener combo turned the K-1766 solution bright after just one drop. So I take that to mean 100 or less, right? I didn't test right after the regen.

Are you guys saying that the replacement water would have more affect on salinity creep than how chlorine and MA affect accumulation of salinity?

Either way, this is somewhat academic. I've figured out how to top off my pool with the absolute lowest CH/salt water I can get at my house. So the creep is going to be the creep. But I put some effort into minimizing that, so time will tell if that effort was well spent.

Hypothetically, even if one could successfully put off a water replacement for CH/salt reasons indefinitely, wouldn't it be prudent to do a replacement periodically anyway, just to clear out all the accumulated "stuff" we're not measuring for? My plaster installer swore by that, alluding he does a water change every year or so (well, partial change), regardless of CH or salt.

I wouldn't do that, but I would think a 3 or 4 or 5 year cycle might be healthy, maybe a half at a time, to keep some weight on the ever-aging plaster.

Or do you all just let it go until the CH is 1000+ (or more), regardless of how many years that might take?

--edit--

Sorry OP, I've completely hijacked your thread. I hope this conversation is at least somewhat useful...

Every gallon of MA you add to your pool will increase the chloride ion concentration by 29ppm. So depending on how much you need on a monthly basis, it’s not likely a significant source. Your muni water is probably around 50ppm or so.

Sorry OP, I've completely hijacked your thread. I hope this conversation is at least somewhat useful...

It's all good, I don't think there was much more to ad to the original content. I think we agree the original salt I posted will be fine. I also overfilled with salt the last time I refilled my pool and I had to do some partial drains but then it was never issue. I've never had a rise issue but then again, I don't have a softener.

It's all good, I don't think there was much more to ad to the original content. I think we agree the original salt I posted will be fine. I also overfilled with salt the last time I refilled my pool and I had to do some partial drains but then it was never issue. I've never had a rise issue but then again, I don't have a softener.

We figured out a while back that topping off with soft water will not raise your salinity. Softeners use salt, but they don't add it to your water. It can reduce (or in my case eliminate) the rise of CH...

We figured out a while back that topping off with soft water will not raise your salinity. Softeners use salt, but they don't add it to your water. It can reduce (or in my case eliminate) the rise of CH...

I don't own a softtener, but I do have my garage plumbed for it. CH is the killer for my pool.... it's the reason my IC builds up so quickly and why I'm doing a refill. My last reading was 1250. Our fill water from the city is 250-300 and that is what is plumbed into the leveler.

I hear ya. Mine is about CH350 off the street. My pool was ruined by the pool guy that not only let the CH get of out control in the first place (my plaster was covered with it when I bought the house), but again when he tried to clean it off (he got some of it off alright, right along with most of my plaster, with an acid wash gone haywire).

So I replaced the plaster and am now on "CH Watch!" I already had a softener, so I connected my auto fill to it. So far so good, but I haven't been through a hot summer with it yet, so it remains to be seen how well my softener will keep up with the pool's thirst!

Growing up I didn't like using soft water. But in this house I learned fast what the city's water was doing to my toilets and shower glass. Now I like it. Everything stays cleaner, appliances and plumbing are happier, and bubbles everywhere! So running it into the pool was the next logical step for me.

I put in the softener myself, along with a whole house filter. Pretty simple, really. I later replumbed the pool's autofill system myself, too. I write about it elsewhere...

Whatever salt I have left over from the pool, I'll throw into my softener!

Good luck with your "saltification!" ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.