Is this quote to move pool equipment reasonable?

rebs

Aug 27, 2019
Los Angeles
We are building a "granny flat" in our backyard and need to move the existing pool equipment which is in the way. We have an in-ground pool. The equipment is now around 40 ft away from the pool and we're going to move it much closer, to maybe 10 feet away. The contractor for the house project brought a pool company guy to give a quote - originally the guy said it could cost just a few thousand dollars or cost 20K depending on what they find. I wanted to get more quotes but our contractor said he wants to work with the company they always work with. Now we're about to start the move and the pool company is saying it's a flat 14K. Is this absurd or could it be reasonable? We're in Los Angeles. From researching online, I've only seen examples of people being charged between 1,800 and 6K to move equipment but there isn't a lot of info about this online. We have to start the pool equipment move ASAP because our deadline for demo-ing the existing shed in the back is next week. If I push for more quotes I'll be rocking the boat so I only want to do it if 14K is way over. If it's just on the high end of reasonable then I'll leave it. I'm pasting the quote below. If you are knowledgeable on this subject I would greatly appreciate your input. If you've had pool equipment moved, how much did you pay? Thank you!

QUOTE:
Relocation of pool equipment pad plumbing to NW corner of yard: $14,000
1) Hand excavation to uncover plumbing, extension of plumbing to NW corner of yard, with new valves and fittings.
2) Pressure testing of plumbing
3) Extension of gas line with pressure testing
4) Equipment set of precast pads
5) Extension of electrical, hook up of equipment per code

Seems high, but they are doing gas, electric and plumbing.

How much equipment is being moved?

Are you sure that you want the equipment 10 feet from the pool?

A single speed pump will be super annoying. A variable speed pump on low might be ok.

If you're really sure about the location, pour a pad instead of using cheap prefab pads.

Sorry to hear you are in that predicament. How old is the pool? Bring the pool to current code and moving electrical/gas can cost $$$. If 14K includes all unforseen circumstances and you don't have to come out of pocket for anything else, it might be worth it.

Since you're moving the equipment anyway, consider upgrading if possible.

Maybe go to a variable speed pump if you have a single speed pump. There might be a rebate available from the local utility.

Sorry to hear you are in that predicament. How old is the pool? Bring the pool to current code and moving electrical/gas can cost $$$. If 14K includes all unforseen circumstances and you don't have to come out of pocket for anything else, it might be worth it.
That is a good question about the unforeseen circumstances. We have not heard anything about this pool not being to code in the couple years of planning this construction project. I'm not sure how old but maybe 10 years? 15?

Seems high, but they are doing gas, electric and plumbing.

How much equipment is being moved?

Are you sure that you want the equipment 10 feet from the pool?

A single speed pump will be super annoying. A variable speed pump on low might be ok.

If you're really sure about the location, pour a pad instead of using cheap prefab pads.
We already have a nice variable speed pump but we will be getting a new heater since our current one is on its last legs - cost of the new heater is not included in the 14K. The new location might be more like 15 feet from the pool, I'm bad at estimating, but it won't seem like its right next to it because of the way the landscaping is done. Do you mean it will be annoying just because it will be ugly and loud?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$14K feels high to me.

Extending PVC pipe is inexpensive. It is just manual labor. I think the complexity and cost may be in the electrical work. You have a subpanel? Automation load center? How far is current pad to main electrical panel and how far will new panel be? Light conduits need to be rerouted.

I assume the $14K does not include the new heater.

Show us pics of your equipment and electrical panels if you want better assessment of the complexity involved.

Last edited:
Off the cuff is seams really high but if this was a new installation and things had to start from scratch, I would estimate the following:

Gas - $2000
Electric - $4000
Plumbing - $3000
Total $9000

I cannot imagine what else there would be to justify that cost increase. I would seriously be getting other quotes. What difference does it make if they "worked with them in the past". All they are doing is moving things out of the way before they even start. Is this something you could do yourself?

I'm moving my pool equipment next week, includes gas/electrical and a new pad as well as demo and removal of old pad, and they quoted me $800. I know that's a great price... but 14k seems absurd to me. Got my entire pool remodeled... main drains added, tile, coping, leak fixed, some concrete deck repair, etc. for 14k.

Rebs,

It's almost impossible to estimate close enough without a site visit but it does seem high. What's pressing the schedule? Hopefully it's not the house contractor and if it is I get concerned he's found a great way to lock in extra margin.. I would look to separate the contracts. The problem is your schedule which links the two projects. I'd look for ways to relieve the schedule.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.