Is this Mustard Algae ?

Looks like a SLAM Process will take care of it. They will need a proper test kit.

To defeat any algae prior to seeing other issues that JamesW pointed out - follow the normal SLAM Process. Read the article I linked on Mustard Algae. You follow a normal SLAM and then raise your FC to the higher level for 24 hours only.

Your liquid chlorine should have a stated concentration on the packaging. Use that in Poolmath.

If that pool has a heater with that low pH, much of those stains are most likely copper.

Get the pH to 7.2.

If there is a lot of copper, you are at high risk of creating some nasty, permanent black stains.

Just be aware and make sure that the homeowner is also aware of the risk so that you both are making an informed decision.

Throw some vitamin C tablets on a few spots to see what happens.

Do not use pH increaser (sodium carbonate) or calcium hypochlorite.

Use baking soda to get the pH to 7.2 by adding it and brushing vigorously.

If they have a cartridge filter, can you pull the filter and take a picture of the dirty cartridge?

If the stains are copper, a sulfamic treatment might work, but that has its own issues and problems.

Note: I know that you’re trying to help your friend, but be aware that this can go wrong if there is a lot of copper.

You might want to reconsider taking the risk or at least inform your friend of the risk and let them decide if it’s worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like its copper/ metal staining.

Took a while to see any difference but it definately is lighter where the tablets have been. The staining seems to be more brown red color than blue grey color so maybe its iron.

Do I address the metal staining first then SLAM later?

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 6
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 5
I suspect that there are several metals causing the problem.

Maybe silver, copper, iron and/or other metals.

I think that it’s at high risk for staining.

I think that there might also be some black algae.

A sustained SLAM and vigorous frequent brushing should clear the black algae, but it would likely make the metal stains worse.

If the black spots are algae, you should be able to scrape some off because black algae is like black mold.

See if the black will scrape off like mold.

Does the pool have and ionizer?

Has silver or copper algaecide ever been added?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.