Is this dead algae?

For some reason, it looks really black in this pic but it's more brown in real life. I used my robot vac when pool was opened (a couple of days ago) and now this. I thought it was just dirt but now it's back. According to my TPF test kit, I have zero chlorine, alkalinity was at 60, and I have never been able to understand the CYA part of the testing but it's nonexistent.

So my pH is finally hovering in the 7.2-7.4 range and alkalinity was 90-100 (I'm still learning testing, we have hired people in the past). Chlorine test took 51 drops to turn clear (so I'm assuming chlorine is at 25?). We did shock, now I'm reading up on SLAM. Thanks, all!

Hey amy. You have a boat ton of gallons that need sanitizing. The entire SLAM you need to 'M' aintain the elevated FC, but in the beginning it lowers quickly. The longer you keep it at the proper level, the faster you win the battle. If the FC drops for half a day, you could lose significant ground in the fight. I happened to be home for mine so i tested every half hour and needed to add after every other test. That turned into every 3rd or 4th test, and then not at all. It only takes a few minutes and could be worth days off your fight.

Your 120 sq ft cartridge filter will need cleaning several times. The high FC kills the algae but the dead algae gets removed with the filter. Smaller filters take longer and 36k gallons needs alot of filtering. Clean once the pressure raises 25% on the quage.

Thanks! Current tests as of this afternoon: (bear with me on this)

60 CYA (I know I need to raise this a bit)
20 FC?
0 on the cc
pH is good but I read this is off due to SLAM anyway

So I now I guess I need to go get some more liquid chlorine to keep the levels up? Going to replace and clean the filter today. What else am I missing?

Keep the CYA lower for now. If you fix it you will need much more FC for the SLAM. Keep maintaining the FC as often as you can and watch the filter PSI for a 25% increase to know its cleaning time again.

brush the walls like it’s your full time job and vacuum the floor at least once a day.

The SLAM rules for SWG are to shut it off. At first it probably won’t be able to keep up anyway.

if the filter stays where it is, then it’s a champ !!

Tested this morning, FC at 32. Tested again just now and it's at 25? Autocover is open and it's hot and sunny here (a rarity). Do wait until sunset to add more chlorine or do it now? Cya is somewhere between 30-50 (30 to get the dot to completely disappear). OH and I replaced filter today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested this morning, FC at 32. Tested again just now and it's at 25? Autocover is open and it's hot and sunny here (a rarity). Do wait until sunset to add more chlorine or do it now? Cya is somewhere between 30-50 (30 to get the dot to completely disappear). OH and I replaced filter today.
  • For the CYA test, bright sun at your back is best.
    • Mix the solution then:
    • #1 ~ fill to lowest line
    • #2 ~ glance (see dot?)
      • Yes = that is your CYA level
      • No = look away and
    • #3 fill to lowest line
      • Repeat all 3 steps until the black dot is not visible at a glance :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.