rbwamsley

Mar 28, 2022
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I posted another thread a week or so back stating that I was going to SLAM pool due to algae (See thread here). After much discussion and an OCLT which produced a result of 0.5ppm it was decided a SLAM might not be needed.

On to this week... I see what I think is algae appearing, yesterday. Same as I had a couple of weeks ago. This time I decided to record a video.

Algae Video

So is this algae?

Definitely. Pollen will settle on the floor & scum up the waterline but doesn’t collect on the wall like that.
Regardless of Overnight Chlorine Loss Test result- visible algae = SLAM Process
If you think it’s Mustard Algea
You complete the regular SLAM Process then proceed w/ mustard algae protocol

Have you done a SLAM since you found the algae? Your pool logs don't show SLAM FC levels. One criteria for passing is the no visible algae.

I can't give you a "TFP expert" answer, but I can speak from experience.

I had one case of mustard algae last summer. I had my pool covered in mid-summer and had issues with my previous SWG and inconsistent chlorine production. I uncovered the pool and found a few patches of MA on the walls. I bumped up to SLAM level for two days then mustard algae SLAM level for 24 hours. I brushed several times, kept the pump running, and tried to find all places algae could be hiding. No issues since.

Have you done a SLAM since you found the algae? Your pool logs don't show SLAM FC levels. One criteria for passing is the no visible algae.
One of the criteria is crystal clear water- that means no visible algae.
If u brush & see poofs of algae or dead algae on the floor- slam continues.

I have never done a SLAM.

After brushing it takes 1-1.5 weeks for my algae to come back. Am I supposed to maintain SLAM levels for that length of time?

Start with this:
SLAM Process

Followed up with elevated mustard algae levels. Read the following link:

A quick tip: When testing FC at elevated SLAM levels, you can conserve reagents by using a 5mL water sample. Use one scoop of powder and each drop will count as 1ppm. You'll lose some accuracy so don't use this procedure for the overnight chlorine loss test.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There’s no finite time frame for how long a slam takes. Passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test at slam level is a bit tougher than at target fc levels.
You have often been @ or below minimum fc level for your cya which has allowed the algae to proliferate & u are just barely keeping it at bay. It will keep coming back unless you hit it hard. As u are currently just physically removing it - not killing it.
The way to eliminate it is the SLAM Process & MA protocol followed by maintaining target 🎯 fc levels for your cya to prevent anymore from ever forming in the 1st place. Barely Maintaining Minimum is playing with fire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.