Is this Algae or DE?

May 18, 2018
Clarion/PA
We keep getting this white stuff on the bottom of our pool. At first I thought it was the shock settling at the bottom, my wife swore it was DE. Instead of putting granualar shock in, I used liquid chlorine this time. I cleaned the filter again and added more DE. This morning this is what I wake up to. Image quality is poor I'm sorry. I'm running a Hayward Perflex D.E. Filters - Above Ground EC40. I had to replace the filter body this summer and ever since we just haven't been able to get clear of whatever that stuff is.

IMG_20180716_061714302.jpg

E3010_f.jpg

Can you post a complete set of test results?

If DE, below is a copy from the Hayward Troubleshooting Guide concerning DE leaking back into pool.
(b) Perflex “Bump” Filter.
(1) Too much DE
(2)Tear in the fabric of the fingers
(3) Bad diaphragm gasket
(4) Cracked tube sheet(s)
(5) Loose or missing tube sheet bolts
(6)Bad o-rings on the bump shaft

Can you hold a skimmer sock or plain white cotton sock over your returns and catch this stuff?

Maddie :flower:

Haven't tried that yet

- - - Updated - - -

Can you post a complete set of test results?

If DE, below is a copy from the Hayward Troubleshooting Guide concerning DE leaking back into pool.
(b) Perflex “Bump” Filter.
(1) Too much DE
(2)Tear in the fabric of the fingers
(3) Bad diaphragm gasket
(4) Cracked tube sheet(s)
(5) Loose or missing tube sheet bolts
(6)Bad o-rings on the bump shaft

I do not have one of the kits that ya'll recommend on this site. My last readings that I got were

Chlorine 2
ph 7.8
TA ?
CYA 0

Well, without a proper test kit it will be tough to tackle this. I suspect you have dead algae, but Maddie's test would help determine. Can you capture some of the material with a turkey baster device? If so, put it on a paper towel. If it smears or is slimy, it is algae.

We would suggest you order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

Well, without a proper test kit it will be tough to tackle this. I suspect you have dead algae, but Maddie's test would help determine. Can you capture some of the material with a turkey baster device? If so, put it on a paper towel. If it smears or is slimy, it is algae.

We would suggest you order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

See at first I thought it was dead algae as well. When I vacuumed it just came right back after a couple hours.

Hello W... any update on this? Where you able to do an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). This will tell you if there's any organics in your pool. Do you have the recommended test kits?

According to my boss(wife) the pool looks amazing this morning. I tore apart the filter again, but this time took off the bump handle to get to the fingers. What I discovered was that I was missing four screws which was allowing DE right back into the pool.
IMG_20180717_071134943.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.