Is there more than just pH and alkalinity to the cloudiness?

DeptOfMeteors

Jul 8, 2020
Ottawa
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
My water is much cloudier than I ever remember it--I can only see down a couple of inches. I tested it with my K-1004 and the pH is 7.2 and the alkalinity 190ppm. I realize that that's too acidic and too alkaline, but is it enough to justify that much haze or should I be looking at other potential problems? And in which order should I treat the problem? Alkalinity first or pH?
I have an above ground chlorine pool about 18' wide.

Last edited:
It was on the high side: about 5ppm of free chlorine. But I didn't test for total chlorine and I accidentally added the R-0002 first then the R-0001. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Welcome to TFP!

I found TFP with a similar question, thinking my high TA was causing the cloudiness. Thank goodness I found it, because I was dead wrong. pH and TA rarely have anything to do with the cloudiness of water and even then it might be a slight haze. If you are unable to see more than a couple inches down then I'm afraid organics are the most likely cause, as it was when I arrived here all those years ago.

Assuming you mistyped and you have a k-2006, do you happen to have a full set of test results available? Specifically Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine, pH, TA, Calcium Hardness, and CYA. That should give us an idea where you stand and where we want to get you moving. Also what have you done with your pool so far this season? All this will help us get the big picture.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Actually, the typo should have been K-1004. So I don't think I can test those other metrics.
I've just opened it, filtered it, done some vacuuming, but I can't see what I'm doing. Shocked it, backwashed several times as well as cleaned out the skimmer and the pump-borne filter, then shocked it some more.

So the basic premise of this site is:
1. Test your water with a quality test kit. Yours is missing a few key metrics.
2. Maintain your chlorine based on your CYA. You really need that measurement to tell if your 5 FC is high, low, or just right. Based on your water being cloudy, my guess is that it is low and the cloudiness is algae starting to form.

I tested the chlorine again and the free chlorine and total chlorine seem to be almost 5ppm. The water has cleared a little in the last few hours so I can see some stuff at the bottom that I didn't vacuum before. pH is the same though.
There was algae in there, but I put in algaecide and plenty of shock yesterday. I should think it's probably dead.

Getting a kit to test the CYA could take some time. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? And what kit should I be getting?

When I price these kits, they are either not available in Canada or an arm and a leg plus shipping, when all I need to do is to test CYA. The K-1004s only set me back about 50CAD.

Your right, not cheap. But how much do you spend on pool stuff that is not working to clear your pool?

Reactions: Salt Life

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.