Is there any downside to raising ph using aeration?

slepax

In The Industry
Jan 30, 2014
Perth, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello,

After watching this video I tried/tested sticking the outlet of an industrial vacuum cleaner into the pool and that created a lot of turbulence (literally like a volcano erupting).

ph is currently sitting at 6.8 (or thereabouts, it's a bit hard to tell as test is limited at this level). I am happy to use this method and see how well it's going to help but generally wondering whether there is any downside to this method?

Thanks!

The only downside to aeration is time. It isn't always as fast, and if your pH actually is at about 6.8 you may need some chemical assistance to at least get the pH up to about 7.2. Then continue aerating. How you treat also depends on your current TA. PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

If you want to do it just for fun absolutly. You can see the efects of that in spas like jacuzzy when the air blower is working. Be sure to turn of your automatic pH controler, and after the experiance calibrate the ph electrode.
When water is aerated, it creates turbulence. The turbulence then causes the aqueous CO2 (carbon dioxide) to outgas. Outgassing of CO2 from water results in an increase in pH. Aeration is the only means of increasing pH that will not increase the Total Alkalinity. This is both beneficial and problematic
I recomend check and the CYA,CH,TA....
My experiance in the field shows that, lower ph are 95% lack of TA and CH, Or levels of CYA to high.
Areation for me is not a good way to solve ph problems. It may work for a few hours, or a day, I have seen a lot of clients with Automatic pH Controller out of control because of air in the lines.

Hope this may help your decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.