TA 70
CH 600
CYA 25
FC = can you bump it to 10 and recheck in 30min
CC = fine
PH = ok
TA = fine
CH = high
CYA = this is 30 (if in-between lines, always use the larger whole ten as your number)

I agree with those that suggested there is something in your pool that is clogging the filter, might be time for Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and possibly a SLAM Process! :D

ok - will try the overnight tests tonight (removing MPV might require watching a few youtube videos first).
I left the cleaner running all night with the pump at 3000 rpm. This am the cleaner was completely still, the PSI was at 19 (maybe closer to 20) PSI and the pump basket looked to be about half full.

Attached picture (pool 4)- you can see where the cleaner has taken some paths through the dirt on the bottom of the pool and at the bottom of the pic can see where the cleaner has edged up the side of the pool and sucked some of the dirt off.

Pool 4.jpg

Attachments

• Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 37
I have to say, after reviewing your thread, the details of previous test readings, reaction of your cleaner, and the pics you've posted, I tend to agree with Jim, Marty, and Dave (Bama). Really seems like your filter is overwhelmed with organic material which is impeeding its efficiency. Funny you mention the pump basket. Mine does that when my filter gets overloaded. There's just nowhere for the water to go and it creates a sort of outgassing backlog in the basket. Then the water level drops a bit until I clean the filter, and that's just with normal dirt. The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is a good idea, although I suspect a SLAM Process may be in the near future. Good luck, and have an nice weekend.. :swim:

In addition to Pat's suggestion, I'd suggest manually vacuuming the pool if you have a manual vacuum. Those cleaners you have are great vacuums, but since they rely on flow they can be a bit of a pain in a pool with a debris load that clogs the filter quickly.

At this point, I suggest you use a manual vacuum and clean the pool. You will have to backwash more than once to get the dirt and debris out of the pool. Same thing will happen with the manual vac that is happening now.....as it picks up debris, your psi will increase and the flow into the filter from your manual vac will decrease.

Once the pool is as clean as practical, you then need to tackle your chemistry problem with a SLAM Follow the SLAM article perfectly and your pool will clear.....it'll be crystal clear. If you do not follow the article exactly, you will continue to have chemistry issues .

Long term, a robot vac would probably serve you better but if you keep the one you have, you must run it longer and not let the pool get as dirty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The manual vac is an inexpensive ($20 or so) and essential part of good pool management.

More than one member has reported a Zen-like peacefulness while vacuuming. I won't endorse it quite that much but there is a satisfaction in cleaning your own (not too big) pool from time to time. ?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️

Reactions: setsailsoon
Good afternoon ABQ_Pool,
So it seems like we're running around and around in circles here. Let's take a step back and check things off working from simple to difficult. To start, I'd like to ask a few simple questions just to get everybody here on the same page. There's a HUGE chance the answers have likely already been mentioned before in the thread BUT I hit my head on the table laughing so hard at your title that everything is blur right now. ;)

Let's start at the very simple items..........
1. Can you please post a current set of test results from your FAS/DPD kit?
2. If you happen to use the PoolMath App we'd love to take a look at your test results/actions there. I'll gladly assist you in turning on the feature to let us peak at your results IF you approve and use the App.
3. Can you please post a photo of your entire pool? We'd love to take a look at the water.

Rest tight............you'll get this sorted soon!

Reactions: setsailsoon
Even though Marty is an algaemaniac, he's probably right.
Good afternoon ABQ_Pool,
So it seems like we're running around and around in circles here. Let's take a step back and check things off working from simple to difficult. To start, I'd like to ask a few simple questions just to get everybody here on the same page. There's a HUGE chance the answers have likely already been mentioned before in the thread BUT I hit my head on the table laughing so hard at your title that everything is blur right now. ;)

Let's start at the very simple items..........
1. Can you please post a current set of test results from your FAS/DPD kit?
2. If you happen to use the PoolMath App we'd love to take a look at your test results/actions there. I'll gladly assist you in turning on the feature to let us peak at your results IF you approve and use the App.
3. Can you please post a photo of your entire pool? We'd love to take a look at the water.

Rest tight............you'll get this sorted soon!

Yes, what does the pool look like? I bet not sparkling crystal clear! As everybody else is saying your filter is overwhelmed with debris. You're filter is plenty large enough to last more than 15 min but your pool is too dirty for any filter. Do the basics first to clear out the crud manually then if you have any indication of algae SLAM. Marty is one of our algaemaniacs. He's a serial algae killer and he will help you get rid of the ghastly-green in shortest time possible. Once all that is done and you get your chemistry balanced you'll be in TFP bliss. Nothing to do but swim, enjoy and brag to your neighbors about your crystal-clear sparkling pool!

Good luck!

Chris

Ok - I'll get some pool results in about an hour. I just downloaded the pool math app so there's no data there. But I'll admit I'm a recovering pool ignoramus as I wholly buy into the TFP way but for the last few years have gotten lazy with the pool.

I went and got a manual pool vacuum setup and fully vacuumed and brushed the pool. I backwashed twice to make sure I was flushing out the filter. I added some muriatic acid and some 6% Clorox to the mix. I put the pool cleaner back in to sweep up the remaining dirt that will resettle after the brushing.

Pool 5 -7 is the pool pre vacuum/sweep (dirty steps)
Pool 8 is mid vacuum - showing the dirt line where the pool cleaner wasn't able to climb the wall
Pool 9 is post vacuum/sweep with the cleaner back in - its very hazy and cloudy

I'm waiting an hour or two to take more pics and run the full chem tests.

Attachments

• Pool 9.jpg
    Pool 9.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Pool 8.jpg
    Pool 8.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Pool 7.jpg
    Pool 7.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Pool 6.jpg
    Pool 6.jpg
    969.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Pool 5.jpg
    Pool 5.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Perfect! Another question just so we can have a large photo of your issue..............

When was the last time you deep cleaned your filter if ever? Have you ever added any products like Floc or clarifiers to the pool? While the Pool 6 photo clearly looks like an algae outbreak I'm wanting to see just what all you're dealing with here.

Never deep cleaned the filter - it's brand new as of Sept 2018. Never added anything like that (Floc or clarifiers) - I stick to clorox, muriatic, cya, occasional chlorine pucks and beer if its a particularly fun weekend.

Ok here's the results - I did input these into my Pool Math app and am happy to share if that's preferred.

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 60
CH: 600
CYA: 20 (really <20)
Salt: 5600

Also wanted to mention that I last refreshed my kit chems in Fall 2018.

I have CYA ready to add, but wondering if I need to dump some water d/t the high salt content. I just checked the water out of the house (I have an autofiller) and the Salt PPM is 600. I'm assuming salt is high due to the high heat / evap in Arizona. What's odd is that I did add CYA (>1 year ago) and I know that doesn't evap out so wondering why salt is high by CYA is almost nonexistent.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.