Is slightly higher TC okay?

I have found that my pool water seems to be much better when my TC is around 7-8ppm. All my other chemicals are within recommended levels. I have a very, very slight chlorine smell almost to the point of being unnoticeable.
Is there any drawback or will any damage occur from leaving the TC slightly elevated?

The thing about Total Chlorine is that it doesn't give you a proper diagnostic. That could be fine, that could be bad, it depends upon what the FC and CC components of TC are. It also matters what your CYA is. Depending on that, 8 ppm could be high, just right, or low.

How are you testing your water?

Yep, how are you testing, what is your FC (not your TC) and what is your CYA?

Slight chlorine smell could be a signal that your CC is too high, meaning that your chlorine is battling something. Strongly encourage you to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you for your replies. I have been tied up for the last several days and only now have had a chance to get back to this. My elevated FC level is 6.5 and CC is .5. We have these gnats in the summer that die on the water surface by the thousands. I skim as many out as possible but I know there a tons I can't get. I was thinking the slight chlorine smell may be due to the chlorine breaking down the tiny little dead carcasses of those gnats? I'm not sure. It seems my water looks better and feels better at that slightly elevated level. I just don't want to damage anything.

This site is all about the FC/CYA relationship. 6.5 could be high, low, or just right. What is your CYA? The FC/CYA chart is also in my signature below.

To directly answer your question, you should be fine to keep it above the target ranges, just dont go over the SLAM number for your maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.