Is SLAM inevitable? (YES...it was...5 Days of stress complete now)

OCLT #3 Failed

FC of 34.5
CC 0.5

Good news is the drop was much less than prior days

Only lost 3 overnight instead of the 6+ I had been seeing

Hopefully a sign of progress and not just testing variation because I had to use a different bottle of R-0871 (all these tests at high SLAM targets have already gone through my original "refill" bottle I had just received)

Keep at it. Are you running slam level water through your solar panels and water features? Do you have a light in your pool?

(1) I have had my solar heating panels on this entire time heating up the pool while I SLAM it

(2) I run my water features at least 30 minutes every day.

I have a weeping wall and grotto.

(3) I have NOT done anything specific with my light fixtures
I have 4 light fixtures in the pool
-2 pool lights
-baja shelf light
-grotto light

730am confirmation test

Seems like the pool held everything I added at the 530am check (I have been aggressive and keeping it above the SLAM target)

I have my fingers crossed I have finally reached the improvement stage

I will ease back on my FC and get closer to 31 while keeping an eye on rate of decrease

Today is supposed to be a heat wave with temps over 100

Side note

I thought it was my imagination but I smelled a strong odor of "indoor gym pool" when I went out to check on the pool both times today.

That is odd considering I have an outdoor pool. Hopefully it is the sign my chlorine has finally found and overwhelmed the organics in the pool and is generating that chloramine smell on the way to victory

Reactions: Newdude
You have done everything right so far!!! WOW! What a wild ride......................I would jump in the pool with a squirt bottle of 1 to 4 bleach water and a toothbrush. Pop the lights out and see what you find.

Now the filters..........very interesting they had slime on them............Good job getting them cleaned up. The smell of "bleach" is a good thing as you know...........that means it was killing something!

AND now for you to be holding FC=WINNING!!!

When you do come down from the SLAM I would keep your FC on the higher end for a while to make sure what ever it was is GONE!

Kim:kim:

.I would jump in the pool with a squirt bottle of 1 to 4 bleach water and a toothbrush. Pop the lights out and see what you find.
This may be the last frontier. I know you were holding off NorCal, but with all you've been through, its going to now be worth the effort just to know for sure and put the question to rest. Was it too much of a PITA at first with so many other likely culprits ? Yes, of course. Now though its valuable peace of mind.

Reactions: NorCalX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I need help on how to access the lights

Problem #1

I was just in the pool with my wading suit on (goes up to my chest so I can get in and clean without getting wet)

I tried reaching for the shallow end light but I could barely get it without having to put my chest under

Should I go in and submerge myself in the pool with FC over my SLAM level?

Problem #2

How the heck do the lights open? I don't want to break anything

I have 2 regular pool lights
I have 2 micro lights (grotto and baja shelf)

I looked at a quick video and it said I could rotate the glass of a regular light.

When I was touching the light in the shallow end I tried rotating and nothing moved

When I was in the grotto I had easy access to the micro light but nothing seemed to budge there either. I didn't attempt to use any extra force. Do not want to break things.

Just did my mid day check

sun is hot and blazing down (92 currently and expected to reach 100. UV index is 8/10)

CYA = 80 (target for SLAM is 31)

My FC dropped from 36 at 930am to 32 at 1130am

Losing 4 in 2 hours makes me want to slam my head against the desk again

:brickwall:

In between 9am and 11am I did a ton of brushing in the pool and ran my water features for 30ish minutes

Guessing I need to focus in that area next?

Maybe I need to run my water features all night and let the FC clear out any potential troublemakers in there

Reactions: kimkats
I would as that seems to be a common theme with your big loses. It sure cannot hurt! I would NOT even try a OCLT when you do this.

Make sure to keep an eye on your ph..............while typing that I remembered pH does not test accurate with high FC.............so have the muriatic acid ready when you are done with this madding SLAM!

Ok I am officially losing my mind

I just dropped from FC 39 (1230pm) to FC 34.5 (230pm)

2 hours I lost a HUGE chunk of FC again.

I simply do not understand wtf is wrong with this pool and am beyond frustrated now.

Day 4....struggle continues and I am losing hope after my OCLT had me happy this morning

:brickwall::crazy:

*edit

And ANOTHER thing...where the F is all this FC going?

Every time I test I get 0 CC

5 drops of R-0003 and I keep seeing no color change

Where is the FC/CC disappearing to?

None of this is making sense to me...

I even double checked my CYA (still 80) to make sure I wasn't missing something

*edit2
ok I know the sun burns up CC so it goes away fine....just frustration talking

My imagination now says maybe there is another animal corpse stuck in the water feature pipes (even though the water flow seems fine)
Slowly slowly every time I run the water features it dissolves and comes unstuck...eventually

Need to resupply again tomorrow. This is going to be a looooong war

*edit3

This explains there is no CC with algae

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.