Is Regular Shocking (Slamming) Required ?

ajdevp

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2012
North East New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP community,

I've recently converted to the BBB method of balancing my water, and I think it's great!

Prior to going with the BBB method, and under the advisement of my old Pool company, I used to shock my pool bi-weekly with 10 cups (5 pounds) of Lithium chlorine, yea the real expensive stuff.

Well now, I've been purchasing Liquid Chlorine (10%) from Walmart and adding gallons here and there as my FC levels keep dropping.

But, I'm unsure if I should be regularly shocking the pool like I used to (once a week) or (twice a week)? And if so, how many gallons of Liquid Chlorine (10%) should I use?

The water is clear and looks great, but the FC levels almost always keep dropping within a couple of days of adding say 2 or 3 gallons of Liquid Chlorine (10%).

I'm interested in your advice and experiences. My latest numbers as of this morning are below:

Oh, one more question, is the term "slamming" and "shocking" used interchangeably on Trouble Free Pool. com?

Thank you.

Adrian

Pool: Ingound Concrete Gunite, Plaster, 30,000 gallons, outdoor
FC= 1.0 CC=0 PH=7.6 TA=125ppm CH=250ppm CYA=60

Welcome to TFP!

There is no need to do a regular shock on a pool if it is chlorinated properly.

Chlorine is consumed by the sun and by biological contaminants from nature and from swimmers, so chlorine will need to be added daily.

Shock and SLAM are different. SLAM stands for Shock Level and Maintain. That means you raise the chlorine to shock level, and then keep it at or near that level 24/7 until the problem is resolved. Check out SLAM Process

Adrian,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners wanting to throw an Algae party... :drown:

I am pretty sure that when I drove by your house this morning there was a sign in your yard that said.. Algae Party this Saturday"... :p

I notice that your FC is 1 ppm... With a CYA (edit)of 60 your absolute, never go below this FC value is... 5 ppm, with your target being 7 to 9 ppm... See this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Having an FC of 1 is just about the same as putting a sign in your front yard...

I have never added a weekly, or bi-weekly, dose of "shock" to my pool in the three years that I have owned it. If you keep your FC up in relation to your CYA, you too will not need to routinely add shock to your pool.

As John has pointed out, all pools consume chlorine. Most pool use from 2 to 4 ppm of chlorine a day.

You should check into getting a "Salt Water Thing.." they work great... :cool:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

so it's not unusual to be adding 1,2,or 3 gallons of liquid chlorine every day? just to maintain proper FC level?

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for the advice so I will concentrate on maintaining proper FC level with respect to my CYA, and I should be good to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.