Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Our 16x32, 25k pool needs replastering and we're thinking of reducing the 9' deep end to 5', which would require filling in about half the pool to meet the slope. Companies I've consulted say they do this a lot, but various forums say this can cause problems from the weight of the concrete used to fill it. One pool guy I talked to today also said the floor of the pool can develop a crack after awhile where the new bottom meets the old bottom. Have others here done this? Is it "safe" to do? Thanks.

I have done this, but we finish the pool with a composite system designed to bridge cracks.

It is very likely that a hairline crack will form where the new and old concrete meet, it is just the nature of concrete.
We chip out a keyway about 4" deep and 10" wide and knock a few holes in the old floor of the pool. Extend main drain plumbing as needed, fill with heavily compacted gravel, install rebar for new floor (drill/epoxy into existing shell), then install new floor.

It is not a cheap endeavor in my experience.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Just out of curiousity- why do you want to raise the depth?
A shallower pool would be more useful. Since the insurance company required the diving board to be removed the deep water does us no good, and a 5' floor would allow more games since most adults could stand up. Also, 8k gallons less water, less chemicals, easier cleaning.

I have done this, but we finish the pool with a composite system designed to bridge cracks.

It is very likely that a hairline crack will form where the new and old concrete meet, it is just the nature of concrete.
We chip out a keyway about 4" deep and 10" wide and knock a few holes in the old floor of the pool. Extend main drain plumbing as needed, fill with heavily compacted gravel, install rebar for new floor (drill/epoxy into existing shell), then install new floor.

It is not a cheap endeavor in my experience.
I've only received one estimate so far and it was $6k. High, low, average? Don't know how they planned to do it. I'm just now researching this and don't know if there's a preferred way or a variety of different strategies. We are in Houston and several companies I've contacted about this say they do this a lot.

Hi! I just wanted to jump in and talk about the new depth. I am 5'5" and know a 5' water depth would hit me just under my mouth. Not much fun to hang around in and too shallow to do a cannon ball in without hitting your bum. Me? I would go 6' (well I would leave it DEEP but....) at least at 6' you can do a cannon ball safely. My second choice would be 4'5" as that is deep enough to do a full crawl stroke if swimming but shallow enough to walk in.

Maybe a dumb question - but have you considered changing insurance companies? Or another way of thinking about it, all things being equal would you rather have the shallower pool or diving?

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Maybe a dumb question - but have you considered changing insurance companies? Or another way of thinking about it, all things being equal would you rather have the shallower pool or diving?
I was going to ask the same thing. My insurance company didn’t make me remove our diving board, and it’s falling apart and unsafe. Probably way cheaper to just get a new insurance company.

Reactions: TimZ
A shallower pool would be more useful. Since the insurance company required the diving board to be removed the deep water does us no good, and a 5' floor would allow more games since most adults could stand up. Also, 8k gallons less water, less chemicals, easier cleaning.
I hear you on all this and I don't think 6k is excessive considering the price of concrete these days. I would ask, what is the worst case if it fails - do they destroy the pool floor so if this fails your pool is going to leak or does it just become "not so pretty" but the pool is still functional? What is the warranty period? As others have said, if you want a diving board and would go back to happily using the 9-foot deep end, shopping around for a new insurance company is going to be the cheapest option - don't they make diving boards that are not permanent????

Find a new insurer. When i bought my house the first said no board. The second said ok no problem. They were also cheaper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would never want a shallow pool but hey, your pool isn't mine. If you ever sold the house, some people may scoff at a 5ft pool.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
I hear you on all this and I don't think 6k is excessive considering the price of concrete these days. I would ask, what is the worst case if it fails - do they destroy the pool floor so if this fails your pool is going to leak or does it just become "not so pretty" but the pool is still functional? What is the warranty period? As others have said, if you want a diving board and would go back to happily using the 9-foot deep end, shopping around for a new insurance company is going to be the cheapest option - don't they make diving boards that are not permanent????
They make diving rocks and stuff like that as well. I’d almost rather have something like that.

$6000 for this project sounds unbelievably low to me!!! I'm doing a similar thing (changing a 9ft deep pool to 4.5 ft), and my quote is over $50K. It includes new tile around the edge, installation of a Baja ledge, shallowing the pool, and new gunite everywhere. I had another quote for $125K, and another guy wanted to rip out the entire old pool and rebuild a new one for $300K.
I want your pool builder!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.