Is Quikrete sand ok?

Home Depot has Quikrete pool sand. It's not the Quickrete masonry sand.
There are conflicting threads regarding this brand of pool sand. None I saw were current.
A few years ago owners were getting sand blow back into pool with it due to the grain being finer than other brands of pool filter sand.

My question: Is Quickrete pool sand better now and ok to use or should I get another brand?

I used the Quikrete Pool sand it in a smaller sand filter last year - as I recall the grain sizing was not called out on the packaging - it was perceptibly heterogenous (i.e., not filtered to #20 specifically) and it took me quite a long time to flush the particulate out of it on first use. It was alright after that - but I prefer the AquaQuartz as it seems far more uniform. My $0.02

I am one of the people that posted one of the threads about Quikrete sand. See this post: What's the final word on the quikrete sand?

I recently helped a friend of mine deep clean her sand filter and she had bought Quikrete sand thinking she would have to add some sand. I inspected the sand that came in the Quikrete bag and found that the sand was still WAY too fine to be used in a sand filter. So, I still believe it is a bad idea to use that sand.

Reactions: JoanC
Thank you thetegeek. I got pool sand from the pool store yesterday. I can't remember the brand but they assured me it was the right grain size.
Now I need to start another thread because the lateral tree and laterals aren't the part number in my manual.
But I got the old sand and the laterals out! That's a big deal for me.

Merged threads - TFP mod
Hi guys,
No numbers on my sand filter so I measured it a few years ago to get model #. A Hayward S244T was determined.
I remeasured day before yesterday to be sure and got the same thing thinking I may need a new lateral assembly.

I was low in sand which was also discolored from iron. Sand and debris was coming back through jets so I thought broken lateral.
In another post I asked questions regarding my issues and decided to remove old sand, check laterals and replace sand with proper amount of good quality pool sand.

Today I got the old sand out and pulled the lateral assembly to check it. The lateral assembly doesn't look anything like the replacement part I have sitting in a cart online ready to hit purchase.
Then laterals fold up on all of the lateral assemblies I have seen for replacement. Mine doesn't fold. The laterals screw into the tree.
I have pics of it taken apart below as well as what the part looks like that I found online stating it fits my model.

The old one may be fine. I have no idea. There are small grains of sand stuck in some of the lateral slots -pic with me holding lateral. There is also a crack in the bottom of the tree but it isn't wide. Is that okay?
I looked up the part numbers and the tree is not available. Should I just call Hayward?
Lateral is S-240-D Tree is S-240-E Folding umbrella on replacements parts list for my "model" is SX244DA

Thank you,
Joan

IMG_3715.jpgIMG_3716.jpgIMG_3717.jpgIMG_3718.jpglateral umbrella.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well DON'T call Hayward! I was on hold for 45 minutes for someone named Jeff who spoke broken English and could NOT understand what I was asking when I ask how to identify the model number of my sand filter due to no info on the filter. He said not his area of expertise.

INYO pools didn't help either. I gave them part numbers from lateral and tree. I also sent pics through chat and he sent me a link for a completely different filter with side mount valve. He suggested I buy a new filter. I told him I'm not going to do that.
Does anyone know if the stationary lateral assembly has been replaced with the folding umbrella assembly?

I found this on the back of the filter. I had it written on my pool file folder but didn't trust myselft as being correct. My fault for not looking behind the filter before. I probably got the info there years ago. Since the folding assembly says it will fit, that's what I will order.
By the way the measuring of the filter's diameter correctly identified it. I can't find the website where I saw the chart to post a link here. I'm sorry. I am physically and mentally exhausted.
Thank you all for your help
.IMG_3720.jpg

How old is the pool (filter). I suspect this is an old hayward design, replace by the "quickie" fold-out model, which should work fine.

Does your filter have the old (1.25") drain cap or the newer (2.5") drain cap?
I'm guessing the pool was built with the house (1989) but don't know for sure. All I know for sure is the pool and equipment were here when we bought it in 2002.
I think you're right that the folding model is the replacement. I don't know if the one I have is bad really. Nobody answered that question. I'm going to take my old assembly to the pool store this morning for them to check it. I'm also going to call all of the pool stores around and ask if they happen to have one of the new assemblies in stock. I wan't/ need to get the filter back together and running.

Odd you mention the drain cap. Mine looks like an antique. It is metal and someone put some kind of blue goop in it. It was pretty hard for me to get off. I was going to ask if the new ones will work.
They should. What if people lose theirs?

the new lateral assebly is in, 300lbs of new sand and a new O Ring for the multiport valve.
I used Lube Tube on the new O Ring, lined up everything and turned it on.

I have a huge leak around the flange clamp.
The clamp is already screwed tight but it's not pulling the valve housing down enough.

Edit to add: I filled the tank more than half full with the new sand. It's not to the top but it is more than half full.
The drain cap is tightened closed in case this is a vacuum issue.

How do I get this back together please?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.