Is my SWG making chlorine?

Apr 13, 2018
Senoia Ga
We’ve added the required / recommended amount of salt to pool per pool math- last weekend. Have the SWG set at 75%, however salt level on Pentair SWG showing zero salt level. I tested water yesterday and only 2.0 fc. , salt at 4000 ppm. —starting to look a tad cloudy. All lights are green and no error indicators. Water temp is 76. Any tips or advice? TIA

Michelle,

If this is a new install you need to have the PB come out and fix it.. Pentair has an issue with the cell not reporting the salt level to the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic.. This problem does not prevent the cell from working just fine, but if under warranty it should be fixed anyway.

You have a 23K pool and I am assuming an IC40 SWCG... Set at 75% you would have to run your pump of 24 hours to get a 5.5 ppm increase in your FC...

My gut says you are not running your pump 24/7...

Also, you did not list your CYA level... If you have zero or low CYA the sun will consume your FC before you can read this message.. :mrgreen:

You need to look at this chart and make sure you add liquid chlorine and get your FC up to the level it needs to be for the corresponding CYA... FC/CYA Levels

My guess is that 80% of all reported SWCG failures have nothing to do with the salt cell itself.

The cell is normally working fine if the cell light is on... Keep in mind that the cell light only works when the cell is supposed to be making chlorine.. If the cell is set to 50% it will be on for about 2.5 minutes and then off for about 2.5 minutes, etc...

Do you see bubbles at one or more of the returns?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Michelle,

If this is a new install you need to have the PB come out and fix it.. Pentair has an issue with the cell not reporting the salt level to the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic.. This problem does not prevent the cell from working just fine, but if under warranty it should be fixed anyway.

You have a 23K pool and I am assuming an IC40 SWCG... Set at 75% you would have to run your pump of 24 hours to get a 5.5 ppm increase in your FC...

My gut says you are not running your pump 24/7...

Also, you did not list your CYA level... If you have zero or low CYA the sun will consume your FC before you can read this message.. :mrgreen:

You need to look at this chart and make sure you add liquid chlorine and get your FC up to the level it needs to be for the corresponding CYA... FC/CYA Levels

My guess is that 80% of all reported SWCG failures have nothing to do with the salt cell itself.

The cell is normally working fine if the cell light is on... Keep in mind that the cell light only works when the cell is supposed to be making chlorine.. If the cell is set to 50% it will be on for about 2.5 minutes and then off for about 2.5 minutes, etc...

Do you see bubbles at one or more of the returns?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! I haven’t been running the pump 24/7. Just turned it back on. CYA was 40 when I tested yesterday. There are bubbles from the returns.

Michelle,

This time of year a CYA of 40 is OK, but as summer gets here you will need to get that up to 70 or 80... SWCG's are good at maintaining the FC where you want it, but they do things slowly, so I suggest you use Liquid Chlorine to get your FC up to say 5 ppm.. If it won't stay there with the help of the SWCG, then I suggest that you run an OCLT as you most likely have algae even if you can't see it yet..

All about the OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.