Is my sand filter undersized?

Jul 28, 2013
West Monroe,La
It seems like I have to backwash a lot - usually after every time or every other time that I vacuum. If I try to add D.E. or fiber stuff to the filter to improve performance, I can only add a small amount (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup) before the pressure gets too high and "junk" starts shooting out of my returns. Sometimes I need to backwash while I am vacuuming because everything I am sucking off the bottom starts shooting back out of the return jets.

Below are my pool details. Based on everything that I have been reading, I'm thinking filter is undersized for my size pool. What do you think - do you think my filter is undersized? If so, what size filter would you recommend? Would the pentair TR100 30" filter be large enough?

20/40 IG vinyl pool, approx 32,000 gal with 1.5 Hayward pump (after market motor).
Filter is a Hayward 24" top-mount with 300 lbs of sand.
1.5" pvc plumbing with 3 returns, 2 skimmer lines, and a drain line.

Thank you.

Have u checked your laterals? There may be a crack. Generally you shouldn’t need to backwash until your pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

Also when was the last time u deep cleaned your sand filter?

Have u checked your laterals? There may be a crack. Generally you shouldn’t need to backwash until your pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.
I installed new laterals 3 or 4 years ago when I replaced the sand. But I have thought there could be an issue with them. Although, I don't really see any particles making it back to the pool until the pressure increases around 8 - 12 psi. And I never see any sand in the pool.

Also when was the last time u deep cleaned your sand filter?
I deep clean every spring when I open the pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
Definitely rule out a channeling issue 1st before dropping $$ unless u r just ready to upgrade.
I think u could probably benefit from a larger filter especially if u get alot of debris from trees, dust, pollen etc.
- basically get the biggest one u can afford & fit in your space-
Jump to 2.3👇

Reactions: Prospero423
Definitely rule out a channeling issue 1st before dropping $$ unless u r just ready to upgrade.
I think u could probably benefit from a larger filter especially if u get alot of debris from trees, dust, pollen etc.
- basically get the biggest one u can afford & fit in your space-
Jump to 2.3👇

I'll check the laterals this weekend and go from there. Thanks for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.