Is my pump on it's way out?

I have a relatively simple and small set up. 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 1 bottom drain. 2 speed pump on an automated switch, manual valves.

My pump power and speed is controlled electronically through my home automation system. Everything turns on as it should, when it should and on the speed it should as programmed. No extra noises are noticed and it doesn't sound like anything is struggling. It sounds completely normal in either speed. I run everything on low speed during the week for 8hrs/day then high speed on weekends only when I run the vacuum. It has been set up like this for a few years with no issues. Unsure just how old the pump is though.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago (so not sure how long it had been happening prior....I only noticed when the water started turning green) that when on low speed, I was getting no pressure so no flow. At that time, I cleaned my filter, turned it on high and everything was fine. I have now figured out that when it first kicks on low speed, it sounds normal but has no flow. I can turn it off, set it to high speed and let that run, then turn it off and back to low speed and it is now fine. But if it starts first on low speed, no pressure or flow. Is this pump on it's way out?

I have a relatively simple and small set up. 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 1 bottom drain. 2 speed pump on an automated switch, manual valves.

My pump power and speed is controlled electronically through my home automation system. Everything turns on as it should, when it should and on the speed it should as programmed. No extra noises are noticed and it doesn't sound like anything is struggling. It sounds completely normal in either speed. I run everything on low speed during the week for 8hrs/day then high speed on weekends only when I run the vacuum. It has been set up like this for a few years with no issues. Unsure just how old the pump is though.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago (so not sure how long it had been happening prior....I only noticed when the water started turning green) that when on low speed, I was getting no pressure so no flow. At that time, I cleaned my filter, turned it on high and everything was fine. I have now figured out that when it first kicks on low speed, it sounds normal but has no flow. I can turn it off, set it to high speed and let that run, then turn it off and back to low speed and it is now fine. But if it starts first on low speed, no pressure or flow. Is this pump on it's way out?
Most 2-speed pumps will not prime on the low speed, therefore you will have no water flow if the pump starts and runs on the low speed only.
If you keep it set up this way, it will burn out the shaft seal, then ruin the front motor bearing, then destroy the motor.
You have proven this to yourself by what you posted.

Most 2-speed pumps will not prime on the low speed, therefore you will have no water flow if the pump starts and runs on the low speed only.
If you keep it set up this way, it will burn out the shaft seal, then ruin the front motor bearing, then destroy the motor.
You have proven this to yourself by what you posted.
Well, that stinks. Definitely didn't know that. Thanks. Looks like I'll be shopping for a pump sooner rather than later.

Well, that stinks. Definitely didn't know that. Thanks. Looks like I'll be shopping for a pump sooner rather than later.
If its not making noise, if it primes on high and then moves water on low, if it doesn't leak, in other words, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."
Have your home automation start it for 15 minutes on high then switch to low, if that feature, or programming, is available and you're good.

If its not making noise, if it primes on high and then moves water on low, if it doesn't leak, in other words, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."
Have your home automation start it for 15 minutes on high then switch to low, if that feature, or programming, is available and you're good.
Yep, I will do that for now and ride it out for as long as I can. It's not making any noise and works fine on either speed...once it primes.

I'm not so sure that's really the case. I have a 2 speed pump that starts on low every day and works quite well. I never lose prime unless I pull the pump basket lid. If your system doesn't lose prime from a suction leak, there's no need to prime it ever. If you lose prime of course the half speed won't be enough to re prime it, but plenty of us run on half speed from the start with zero flow issues.

Maybe you've got a slight suction leak and losing prime.

I'm not so sure that's really the case. I have a 2 speed pump that starts on low every day and works quite well. I never lose prime unless I pull the pump basket lid. If your system doesn't lose prime from a suction leak, there's no need to prime it ever. If you lose prime of course the half speed won't be enough to re prime it, but plenty of us run on half speed from the start with zero flow issues.

Maybe you've got a slight suction leak and losing prime.
Hence, the beginning of the post, "Most 2-speed pumps will not prime on the low speed," Work on more than yours and you'll see that fact.