Is my pump done?

I guess to avoid dealing with the cover, and spending too much now, i can get one of those battery powered vacuums to clean the bottom every few days and. I can manually skim the top, and run the submersible pump for circulation daily?

Probably cut your pump electrical in half if not even more compared to a single speed.
got it. This place has a couple of reasonable 2 speed twist lock pumps. $299 and $319.

Any opinions on these?

Well it wouldn't be the spare, id use it now. Id fix the old one and have that as a spare next year? Do you think i can't switch the wire or fix the old one?
Gotcha. It sounded like the new one was a stop gap and then you'd replace that with a better pump next year.

The 2HP 2 speed you linked to seems like a steal at $300. The larger the pump, the more water it moves at the same RPM.

A 2 speed pump will save 80%+ over a single speed. A VS pump will save 90%+. Either the 2 speed or VS will literally pay for themselves many times over. If the 2 speed saves you $80 a month in electric, and it cost $300, it's free after 3.75 *months*. Then every 3.75 months it will save you it's purchase price again, for as long as it lives, possibly 12+ years.

Maybe it only saves you $60 month and buys itself back every 5 months. It's a NO BRAINER anyway you slice it. (y)

Reactions: Decoy205
Unfortunately, this is a one time event. Next time you replace it, it will be no savings as you were already saving and never going back.

So if you were ever going to splurge and feel good about buying a big/fancy one, now's the time 🤣

Gotcha. It sounded like the new one was a stop gap and then you'd replace that with a better pump next year.

The 2HP 2 speed you linked to seems like a steal at $300. The larger the pump, the more water it moves at the same RPM.

A 2 speed pump will save 80%+ over a single speed. A VS pump will save 90%+. Either the 2 speed or VS will literally pay for themselves many times over. If the 2 speed saves you $80 a month in electric, and it cost $300, it's free after 3.75 *months*. Then every 3.75 months it will save you it's purchase price again, for as long as it lives, possibly 12+ years.

Maybe it only saved you $60 month and buys itself back every 5 months. It's a NO BRAINER anyway you slice it. (y)
ha! ok great i will go check out that reasonably priced one. I think that will solve all 3 problems,, its not expensive, it has the right chord and its 2 speed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK i snagged a 1H 2speed Twist lock pump for $319 after tax. I think thats a win. Hopefully there's no issues with it. Next year ill try and get the other one fixed as cheap as possible in case this one ends up being junk.
I did learn a lot from this thread though so thanks all!!

Got it all hooked up.

Definitely less pressure than the old single speed on the high setting. I was at 16psi on the filter gauge with the old pump. The new pump is showing 10 on the high setting.

Also the low setting you barely hear it running but you can hear the hum from the motor clearly. Assuming that’s normal.

Good news is I’m back in business!

bRPMMhy.jpg

Also the low setting you barely hear it running but you can hear the hum from the motor clearly. Assuming that’s normal.
Yup. If you take a few steps back, you shouldn't hear it at all. Once you get near it, it's definitely running, but not in the jet engine type way of high speed or the old single speed.

Welcome to the multi speed club. (y)

Yup. If you take a few steps back, you shouldn't hear it at all. Once you get near it, it's definitely running, but not in the jet engine type way of high speed or the old single speed.

Welcome to the multi speed club. (y)
Thanks dude! Helpful as always.

Having the shut off valves and unions make life so much easier that is no joke. At one point trying to get the connectors off the pump I think I was turning the wrong way. 🤣 then I realized and all was well. Not before I shredded part of the connector nut.

One more question, the pump came with a pump basket water bond lug. Since I have a water bond in the skimmer I don’t need to hook that up right? Assuming no. I did hook up the motor bond wire.

And last question, with the low setting do I increase run time? I was running 8hours per day with the single speed pump.

the pump came with a pump basket water bond lug. Since I have a water bond in the skimmer I don’t need to hook that up right
I believe only one water bond is needed and they likely added the option just in case you needed it.

I did hook up the motor bond wire.
Good. The pump itself definitely needs bonding.
with the low setting do I increase run time? I was running 8hours per day with the single speed pump.
That's a wait and see. You only run the pump to perform a function. Your pool needs to skim and filter. Those 2 automatically cover the 15 mins a day needed to mix the water for the chemicals.
Skimming is a crud shoot if you aren't running 24/7. If the pump is off 16 hours a day, most of what falls in the pool during that time will get waterlogged and sink before the pump runs again. But as long as the door flaps away on low speed, that's all you need to achieve skimming.

Filtering may require more runtime at lower speed than it did at high speed during heavy debris times like the spring and fall. In the mid season you can usually decrease runtime a good deal with nothing falling in the pool.

Use your eyes as the judge. If your chemistry is great but the pool loses some sparkle, you need to add some filter time. If everything is stupid clear, you can probably lower the filter time a bit.

This is a moving target throughout the season and I can't be bothered with it. My pump costs $20 a month to run 24/7. I'd need at least $10 worth, no matter what. If it runs all the time, it's guaranteed enough. :ROFLMAO:

Get the low speed wattage #s from the manual and figure out what it costs per your electric bill Kw used. You might find the downtime difference to be so little that you chose to run it full time also. Your old pump was about lowering runtime so it only added $100 to the electric bill each month. Now you can say 'Meh..... I'm still saving $75 a month running low speed 24/7'

Thanks dude! Of course it wouldn’t be simple haha. 😄 Good call on the shoulder periods.

So many leaves and bugs i might even have to empty the skimmer basket twice a day. I have a Maple and cherry tree dumping leaves and stems plus all these stupid lantern flies.

At this point with the leaves in definitely need more skimming. I’ll see how it looks with 8 hours tomorrow and then work up and see how that works. Right now there is definitely leaves sinking so I probably should up the time just for that.

I don’t think I’ll need to run it 24/7 but maybe 12 hours a day would be good. Also good suggestion on seeing if I can calculate the cost with the specs on the pump.

Also good suggestion on seeing if I can calculate the cost with the specs on the pump
Take your total bill and divide the KW used for the last billing cycle. That's the actual cost including the taxes and fees. Then maths that with the KWs used for the month for the pump.
Right now there is definitely leaves sinking so I probably should up the time just for that.
If the most you expect to run is 12 hours, they'll still have 12 hours to get waterlogged. At best, you are only skimming half of what falls in your pool. People obsess over *what* falls in the pool when they should obsess over *when* it falls in the pool.

If the wind blows the wrong way today while you run, you won't skim at all. Mine will at least start again the moment the breeze settles down, no matter when it is.

I thought I read in the town code for the pools that they need to be able to filter all the water in less than 24 hours but I’m not sure if that means I’m not allowed to run it that long.

Dude more stuff for me to obsess over haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.