Is my light leaking?

Coach_1

May 10, 2016
Duncan, Ok
Saw water around my pump and went to investigate and found water dripping out from this outlet. I think the conduit from the bottom goes to the light. Any chance it's an easy fix?

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 40
C,

Well, in "theory" that outlet should be higher than the surface of the pool... So even if the light assembly was leaking it should not come out of the conduit going to the pool.

But the junction box/outlet could have been installed too low...

What I would do is remove the cover and outlet (Might want to turn the power off first) and expose the conduit coming from the pool. Then to confirm a leak, I would add water to the pool and see if it is obviously coming up the conduit.

I am no expert in this area, but the fix would be to take the light out and add some underwater sealant where the light wiring enters the conduit in the back of the light niche..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes it is definitely below the water line as my yard slopes away. I'd say about 3ft below. What sealant do you recommend? That outlet is only on when the pool light is on. Wired directly to the breaker and it's off.

Is it safe to swim? Certainly don't want my kids in any danger. The local pool stores around here are a joke so I won't be calling them for any help/repairs.

Well if pool water is in that conduit that means it's made it's way into the connection at the base of the light. A proper gfci breaker would have tripped immediately once water contacted the hot and either neutral or ground connection at the fixture or in that outdoor outlet. If it hasn't tripped there's something very wrong. Before swimming the breaker that serves that outlet and pool light must be turned off until you can replace the gfci breaker and fix your leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.