Is Mulch or Bark near pool OK?

fransherry

Apr 10, 2019
Sacramento CA
I am doing landscaping around my pool. Is it OK to add mulch and/or bark near it? I have attached photos so you can understand the layout. The mulch or bark would go behind the stone wall. Please let me know :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 134
Frans,

Glad to have you as a new member and welcome aboard!

We went down this road with two large tree planters at pool level and built into the deck at one end of our pool Mulch went everywhere when the wind kicked up. Also some of it was soaked with a dark ink that James referenced... got all over the coping and made a real mess. You may want to consider what we did. We dug up all the mulch and placed a gardening membrane then replaced the mulch with decorative landscaping rocks. Costs a little more but no annual replacement needed and no drips. no runs, no errors!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Frans,

Glad to have you as a new member and welcome aboard!

We went down this road with two large tree planters at pool level and built into the deck at one end of our pool Mulch went everywhere when the wind kicked up. Also some of it was soaked with a dark ink that James referenced... got all over the coping and made a real mess. You may want to consider what we did. We dug up all the mulch and placed a gardening membrane then replaced the mulch with decorative landscaping rocks. Costs a little more but no annual replacement needed and no drips. no runs, no errors!

I hope this helps.

Chris
The idea of the river rock is a good one. We have quite a bit of landscaping around the pool and the previous owner had mulch in it. As you might guess...the Oklahoma winds does a FINE job of blowing it into the pool. Thankfully, it's not dyed...but we will be replacing it with river rock in the near future.

We have natural hardwood mulch on 2 sides of the pool. It contains no dyes and seems to stay put more so than any other kind we’ve had. Occasionally it gets into the pool, but less so after we put a row of river rock next to the coping.
Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: OliviaT
Ive had bark and mulch, died and un-died, shredded and non shredded around my pool, only 3 feet away from the water for more than 5 years. Now and then some will get in from rainstorm, squirrels, wind, and whatever else way it can get in there, but its never very much.

Ive never had any sort of problem. Most of it goes in the skimmer and what doesn,t i just scoop out with a net. Ive never once had a regret of using it.

Unfortunately it is hard to see in these pics but we have dyed mulch above these walls. I put a 1-3' boarder of fabric and crushed stone directly behind the boulders with a small rock retaining edge to try to keep it at bay. I am still looking for some river rock to place on top of the crushed stone to finish it. On a very very windy day we will end up with a little mulch in the pool. Unfortunately the mulch is one of the hardest things for our infloor cleaning system to get. It sinks past the skimmer but kinda floats by the main drain, so I do have to net out any mulch that goes in. I do think that area you have would look good with some river rock instead of mulch, but it does get a bit pricey...

IMG_20190330_105303-3628x2721.jpgIMG_20190330_111022-3024x2268.jpg

How about using a ground cover plant instead? Dward mondo grass for example... or a bazillion other low growing, maintenance free plants that grow low.

Maddie :flower:

I'm a fan of this idea. It works really well for us. We used Big Blue Liriope. I mow it once a year in March with my mulching mower. I planted plugs on 12" centers and it has since formed a lawn that even handles the dogs rolling in it occasionally. You can see it below on the far side of the pool. It's 1' - 4' wide depending on the area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.