Is it worth re-configuring equipment pad to reduce the number of 90 degree angles?

ChadJ

Jan 28, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Hi folks. I recently added a heater to my pool. When I was having the pool built, I was explicit that I would be adding a heater very shortly thereafter and for them to configure the equipment accordingly. Well, it does not seem they did a very good job of planning this. Long story short, as I am looking at how they routed the plumbing post-heater install, there are a lot of extra 90 degree turns that could have been avoided if they set it correctly from the start. At this point, I'd need to relocate the pump, filter and heater to get the proper layout. Doing so would reduce the number of 90 degree angles I currently have between my filter, heater and SWG by aproximately six 90 degree turns. Potentially 8. I don't have any issues with the flow rate currently for keeping the pool chemistry correct, and the pool looks clean. The biggest downsides are the pressure from the pool returns and spa jets is not great and I need to run my pump at a higher speed to get a proper waterfall flowing from the spa, while still getting decent circulation in pool returns. That being said, would reducing the 90 degree angels make a big enough difference to justify reconfiguring the pad and equipment plumbing? Any input is appreciated!

-Chad

My thoughts would be not to worry about the number of 90s so much. The head loss is fairly negligible from 90 degree fittings compared to a change in pipe sizing. If you have some symptoms of OCD and you MUST reconfigure for aesthetics and satisfaction, then do it. Otherwise, I would leave as is.

If you are using "sharp 90" elbows, each one used is like adding approximately 8.6 feet of pipe (2"). If using the sweep 90s figure on adding about 5.7 feet of pipe per to your total.

If you could get rid of 8 sharps, that would be getting rid of almost 70 feet of pipe!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.