Is it possible to use a DE filter in conjunction with a sand filter

Madged

Jul 30, 2016
Clovis, NM
We just started our pool up just a few days ago, vacuumed a bunch of dirt yesterday and within 30 minutes or so it seemed as if half that dirt was back in the pool again. Its very fine dirt/sediment. So my hubby was thinking of installing a 2nd filter either paper or DE to catch the really fine stuff. (he is thinking it is to fine to be caught by the sand filter)

Thoughts?18620282_1705202586176350_7736376183454521864_n.jpg

Are you sure its dirt and not algae?

If you're sure its dirt, then a second filter is not the answer. That will only add more head loss to the return side plumbing which will lower the flow rate out of the returns, reduce circulation and cause more trouble. Just simply add some DE powder to your sand filter via the skimmer. Most folks with sand filters find it takes less than a cup of DE to raise the pressure by about 1psi. When they do that, the same filter performs better with fine particles. Just add the DE about 1/4cup at a time until the pressure on the filter gauge goes up by 1 psi.

Alternatively, you could get a couple of small sized "Slime Bag" (The Slime Bag | The Easiest Way To Maintain Crystal Clear Pool Water. ) and attach those to the returns. They can filter down to one micron particle size and give the water a good "polish"...

- - - Updated - - -

Following because I would like to know too! I have a de filter but would love to have a sand filter before it to catch the big stuff so my de filter doesn't clog so quickly!

Are you using hairnets in your skimmer to catch debris before it gets to the DE filter? Polypropylene hairnets in the skimmer are super cheap (100 count for $6 on Amazon) and they will catch everything, including fine pollen, before it ever gets to the filter...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.