Is it ok to put DE in a cartridge filter system?

Bille

Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Abingdon maryland
The local pool store sold me a 20 pound bag of DE and told me to put 1/3 of it into my skimmer. So I did and my filter glogged right up. All day today we have had to pull out the filter and clean it every 40 mins or so because the return jets stop flowing. 1/3 of a bag is about 7 pounds. We have a 20,000 pool and the filter system is Hayward 120. Pool store says it was my fault for putting it in too quickly but their instructions were to pour some, let go down and pour more, which I feel I did.

If you have a normal cartridge filter, then no, you should not put DE into it. There are DE filters that have cartridges but they are specifically designed for using DE.

Just clean up the DE from the filters. I would not suggest every going to that pool store again.

Please add a signature. Read https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

I think that is a bad idea. And certainly adding 7 pounds seems like WAY too much.

Why did you think you needed to add DE? What line of BS was the pool store spewing?

B,

I think you and the pool store got mixed up.. You can put a little DE in a Sand Filter, but you would never add DE to a cartridge filter.. Keep in mind that there are some DE filter that use cartridges instead of grids, but that is not what you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your filter isn't designed for DE, so don't use it. As you've seen for yourself, all it will do is clog the filter element.

7 pounds is a HUGE amount of DE to use as a supplement, anyway. If you had a sand filter that might benefit from its addition.

The question is: why do you think you need to improve the filtering, anyway? If the water is cloudy or murky, that's chemistry, not filtration.

Regular DE is not good, but the cellulose stuff like The Filter Fiber Stuff from Jack’s Magic can be used at the rate of:

Cartridge Filters: 3 ounces (by weight) per 25 square feet of filter area.

A cartridge filter usually does not benefit from a supplement.

The fiber might help catch iron in some cases.

What is a server shock?

Do you pay for a pool service?
Are you interested in learning how to properly maintain your chemistry to avoid cloudiness from occurring (likely lack of chlorine)?

That should have read serveral shocks but my phone autocorrected. Yes I very much want to learn. But I’m right about fixing this mess I’m in with the filter. All day we have had to clean the filter about every half hour. When we clean it and put it in the pressure is at like 17. Within 30 mins the pressure is at 30+ and the returns start to die off. Do I need to stay up all night and keep cleaning the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
7 pounds is a HUGE amount of DE to use as a supplement, anyway. If you had a sand filter that might benefit from its addition.

Just a note for others reading this in the future: While you can add DE to a sand filter for increased performance. You would never add 7 pounds of it. Follow directions here>> Add DE To A Sand Filter I use it especially when we have a lot of pollen.

I think we are getting the cartridge clean each time, but within 30-40 mins it dirty again. We actually have 2 chartirdges, we clean one while the other is in use. I assume the DE is in the pipes somewhere and as can only suck out so much before the system clogs? Am I wrong?

Yesterday before the DE we put in a clean filter, then put in the DE and didn’t touch the filter for the rest of the day and over night. This morning when we noticed the problem we pulled the DE filter and put in the other filter that didn’t have DE on it. Then all day we swapped and cleaned them but both filters are behaving the same way

It was very green because we spent a week trying to find and fix a leak. We went to the pool store to get it back to blue. They told us to lower PH, put in DE and then shock that night. That’s what we did and found the filter clogged this morning. This is what the water looks like now but I just put in two bags of shock tonight. But now I think I need to turn off filter since it’s always clogged and I can’t stay up all night. I tried to upload a picture but I keep getting a message that it exceeds my quota.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.