Is it ok for gunite sun shelf to remain above water level during winter?

karcherd

Bronze Supporter
Mar 28, 2017
Fayetteville
I decided to winterize myself this year (Northwest Arkansas), so drained our 22000 gal gunite/plaster pool an inch below the returns to ease blowing out all of the plumbing lines. Consequently the top step and our sun shelf are now high and dry above the water line. Will it be ok to cover the pool like this, or might the plaster be damaged from drying out over the winter? If the latter, I assume I'll need to refill the pool to an inch below the skimmers prior to covering. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

It should be fine.

Here is where freezing of the water on the sun shelf damaged the surface...

No matter what you will have a step with no water on it anyway. So here is what I learned from someone else who used to post on here regarding ice and freeze. If u have no water in the plaster step or shelf you are good. If u have water in it you are good too. The issue comes when the water on shelf freezes to shelf so meaning 2 inches of water on shelf and 2 inches freezes to ice the frozen water in the plaster is what can cause some damage. If u have say 4 inches of water bit only 3 inches of ice you know have water on shelf vs ice. So I gathered it depends on how much ice you might get. That’s why I monitor my water close for my deep bench and steps. Most ice o have gotten in 3 winters is 3 inches of ice so I have been trying to keep 4 inches on my deep bench but watch my second step close so I don’t mess myself up there. The first year I had ice on my second step. No water under it. I got some blotchy grey looking patches in spring. Forgot name for this. I sanded it and brushed. It did a bit bit was still there. Over the past 2 years it has lightened to the point of not seeing it almost now. I believe it was from water frozen to ice onto that step.

Oh I have diamond brite super blue. So white base with colored aggregate.

It should be fine.

Here is where freezing of the water on the sun shelf damaged the surface...

Thanks Allen!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.