Is it normal to lose chlorine 2-3 ppm overnight?

newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I want to give a quick background on my situation here. Last week we got algae outbreak with high CYA, drained the water, and managed to bring down CYA to 50. I have followed the SLAM process and thankfully I have never seen my water being this crystal blue clear since we have the pool. We checked every day and no visible yellow spots in the pool anymore.

I have been testing chlorine levels every day and what shocked me was yesterday it was around 2 ppm so I added chlorine to bring it up to 5ppm, then today I tested it's like 0.5. So is it normal to lose chlorine this fast? Although keep in mind that Texas has been experiencing a heat wave for 2 weeks now (high 90). I tested others using my Taylor kit and everything seems within range.

My readings
CYA - 50
TA - 120
PH - 7.9 (should I add acid to bring down to 7.6? I added last week but somehow it went up again)
CA - 180 (I plan to increase this once I have everything else in balance)
TC/FC - 0.5/0.5

Please advise here on what you think would cause this. Maybe it's just being too hot here and it's normal to lose that much chlorine every day?

Did you pass the three criteria for exiting the SLAM process?
  • CC is 0.5 or lower - the last two tests it's always 0 (at least that's what I see)
  • You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less) - I tested 2 a day but didn't directly follow this step. Could it be the case that I'm not done with SLAM process?
  • And the water is clear (most crystal clear since I owned the pool)

• CC is 0.5 or lower - the last two tests it's always 0 (at least that's what I see)
  • You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less) - I tested 2 a day but didn't directly follow this step. Could it be the case that I'm not done with SLAM process?
  • And the water is clear (most crystal clear since I owned the pool)
Do a proper Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the TFPC methods, the FAS-DPD test is best to use to achieve success.

Taylor can sell what ever it wants. Most pools in the world have algae in them all the time. TFPC is prefaced around eliminating that algae and maintaining a pool clean, sanitary, and trouble free.

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.