Wntrequinx

May 20, 2021
Hartford, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in Connecticut and have a 24ft round agp that is entirely (except for like 1 foot for about 1/3rd of it) above ground. Not buried more than the minimum required for most of the circumference.

Is it reasonable/practical to heat it, or would i just be heating the outdoor air around the pool?

If it isn't a losing battle to heat it, what are folks' opinions on electric heat pumps? I'm thinking of getting one to take advantage of the solar panels I'm looking to put in (and want to account for it in our solar plans).

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can certainly heat it. Best if you cover it at night with a solar cover or other cover to retain the heat.
In your climate, heat pumps work well to maintain a comfortable swimming water temperature during your season.

Thanks, I already keep a solar cover on it to keep some of the junk out and get it warmer (it was 72 during the sunniest time today with the filter running - but it is still too cold for me when the high is upper 60's...)

I have a 150,000 BTU natural gas heater and can easily get water temperature to mid to high 80s from water temp of 60-70 degrees. We get significantly more use of the pool with the heater. A cover definitely helps retain heat overnight. I have a friend with a heat pump and it struggles to maintain temperature during late spring and early fall months, he tells me all the time how he wishes he went with gas. My gas bills are $75-85 during months of operation but I don't run my heater 24/7 and instead run it on a schedule most days. Gas installation cost was around $800. For comparison, my pool volume is approximately 1/3 your size and I am based out of northern OH.

We opened our pool early to hopefully get the water warmer but here in Jersey we've been seeing below 50 nights as well so no luck! Our water has made it to a high of 74 during the day but is about 68 after overnight. I've been thinking on how I can get that water warmer early season and late season. Running gas or electric out there for a heater is not going to happen ... if it was IG pool then yes. I have seen some solar heating videos for AG pools that I just may try next year. For the modest cost ($100-$125) it may be worth a try as I'm thinking if the pool is covered and the solar raises the temp by 5 degrees a day and looses 3 degrees a day maybe it will heat to 80 degrees by the time we want to swim in it. Not knowing your setup or budget this may be an option for possibly heating the water.

Had a heat pump for 7 years, gulfstream brand, excellent quality,Last winter knothead kids did not disconnect anything and trashed all plumbing and equipment.
Replaced everything and just finished except for the heat pump.
Never doing that again, due to the cost of heater and monthly rise in electricity for the short amount of extra use, maybe 3 weeks extra in spring and again in fall when closeing.
But by then its so late in the year its miserable closing in the elements.
We had to go electric since we don't have gas.
In our part of the world with late spring and early fall mostly, that thing ran all the time and worked hard to keep warm with covering most the time when pool not used
We also have a heat pump on the house, but thats a different ball game .

Reactions: Wntrequinx
We heat ours with a double solar panel (4x11 ft)
Not pretty, but it heats the pool to 90 deg. F in 3 days, even though the day temperature is not more than 78 at the moment.
Best of it all - it is totally free heating 😁
Only the cost of running the pump.
IMG_4589.jpegIMG_4598.jpeg

We heat ours with a double solar panel (4x11 ft)
Not pretty, but it heats the pool to 90 deg. F in 3 days, even though the day temperature is not more than 78 at the moment.
Best of it all - it is totally free heating 😁
Only the cost of running the pump.
View attachment 506149View attachment 506150
Im very interested in that solar heater - is that home built or did you buy from somewhere? Can you provide some details if homebuilt or a link / product name if bought?

Long Island, NY here 12x24 above ground.

Opened MMD weekend and have had a solar cover on it for 2 weeks now. Temp is staying around 74-75 with this miserable weather we've been having lately, going to be a cool summer I'm thinking.

My cover is on 24x7, I run my pump from 5pm to 5am every day but the still water plus the sun allows the water to heat up during the day and then mixes at night when the pump runs.

Reactions: synapsid

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That would be rare to find in the US. That looks like maybe a repurposed residential water heater with vacuum tubes.

In the US I would look at polypropylene panels, like the Fafco Solar Bear.
Thanks, I'm pretty aware of the common commercial offerings as well as some diy poly pipe options.. that heater just looked very unique and I was specifically curious about the manifold construction.

Im very interested in that solar heater - is that home built or did you buy from somewhere? Can you provide some details if homebuilt or a link / product name if bought?
It is bought in Denmark from a plumbing supply store.
I don’t think it is a particular brand. Many companies make these - maybe search for “vacuum solar panel”
Im very interested in that solar heater - is that home built or did you buy from somewhere? Can you provide some details if homebuilt or a link / product name if bought

That would be rare to find in the US. That looks like maybe a repurposed residential water heater with vacuum tubes.

In the US I would look at polypropylene panels, like the Fafco Solar Bear.
In Denmark we buy them ready to use like in my picture - like these.
Solar panel
They are very popular, also for heating household water.

Reactions: Wntrequinx
Long Island, NY here 12x24 above ground.

Opened MMD weekend and have had a solar cover on it for 2 weeks now. Temp is staying around 74-75 with this miserable weather we've been having lately, going to be a cool summer I'm thinking.

My cover is on 24x7, I run my pump from 5pm to 5am every day but the still water plus the sun allows the water to heat up during the day and then mixes at night when the pump runs.
It's the same for us, cover on 24/7 (we opened early May and the kid and some friends went in when the solar cover only got it to 65 (not to bad for starting at about 60 and low 80's day temps at the time)

May I ask if your pool is partially buried? I make sure to run my pump during the day (including running the slow speed during the warmest part of the day) because I worry about losing heat at night since my AG is entirely AG, and because I wanted to get the most heat transfer from the cover and I *thought* circulating it during the day helped it heat better (it's currently staying high 70's...)

We are getting solar panels for my house soon, so at least then I won't have to worry about running stuff like a heater/the pump during the day, cost wise.

It's the same for us, cover on 24/7 (we opened early May and the kid and some friends went in when the solar cover only got it to 65 (not to bad for starting at about 60 and low 80's day temps at the time)

May I ask if your pool is partially buried? I make sure to run my pump during the day (including running the slow speed during the warmest part of the day) because I worry about losing heat at night since my AG is entirely AG, and because I wanted to get the most heat transfer from the cover and I *thought* circulating it during the day helped it heat better (it's currently staying high 70's...)

We are getting solar panels for my house soon, so at least then I won't have to worry about running stuff like a heater/the pump during the day, cost wise.
I'm 100% above ground.

So...12x24 fully above ground was 68 degrees at the beginning of June when I opened.

One month with a solar cover on 24x7, running pump 12 hours from 5pm to 5am, I'm pleased to say we enjoyed our 84-85 degree water all holiday weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.