Is fiberglass a good material to cover gunnite?

Hi there Gary :cool: Welcome to TFP

I would personally avoid changing a plaster pool to a hybrid one (adding fiberglass) because I suspect down the road that will bite you in the toes with some problem or another.

I'd start by stopping the use of ANY copper containing chemical. The stains are most likely copper caused. Stains can be dealt with, and just getting new fiberglass but not altering your pool care methods just means the new stains on fiberglass will appear again. And they're the *worst* on fiberglass! Its like a magnet for copper if you're using it, ya'know?

Short read in Pool School about Stains --> Trouble Free Pool

Side Discussion--> If I read your post correctly, you're using copper to avoid algae.....but what pray tell are you using to *sanitize* the pool water with if not chlorine??? Algae ain't gonna hurt ya, but I can name at least 10 cooties you could be swimming with that you sure don't want to be. :devilish: :alien: <--note cool new "cooties" emoji, lol.

And those are the reason for the chlorine!!! So you don't end up with.... um....runny tummy, for one, y'know? :sick:

Maddie :flower:

Yuk! You need to educate your dear wife. Algecide does not sanitize your pool, whereas a sanitizer both sanitizes your pool and prevents algae. She's been swimming in a yucky, unsanitary, "pond" for who knows how long! Most people that have problems with chlorinated pools do so because there is either too much or too little chlorine. Chlorine can be better controlled with a SWG so that you maintain sanitary conditions without chlorine "sensitivity". Or, you can monitor the chlorine abd CYA levels carefully and keep them at recommended levels. NEVER use copper products in a plaster pool - that's where your staining is coming from. I agree with the above recommendation: Get the pool replastered and use a different sanitizer/agae preventer.

I don’t think he is considering a hybrid conversation. A hybrid relies on various waterproofings on the different members. His concrete shell is only one member.

OP- are you asking about a “chop glass” non- cementious surface over your shell? They were in vogue about 10 years ago.

If so competent contractors are far & few in between for this task. To rectify a delamination or other chop glass failure is going to be tedious and expensive.

I lean to plaster or eco torch it.

I’m sure a certain Californian will chime in about a torch finish and it’s real or perceived merits.

Ecosmarte Pool Systems - Non Chemical Pool Water Treatment claims to sanatize the water.

The ECOsmarte system creates two sanitizing agents, copper ionization and liquid oxidation. As water flows from your pump back to your pool it travels through the ECOsmarte ionization/oxidation chamber. While in the chamber, the water will either receive copper ions or become oxygenated depending on the setting of the switch on the controller.

Both the ionization and the oxidation sanitizes your pool water, killing bacteria, algae, and viruses. It is simply the best chemical-free method to sanitize your pool water.

'Fraid I must call BS on this one! Liquid CO2? Any self-respecting chemistry undergrad knows that CO2 sublimes - goes from the solid state (at vv low temps) straight to the gaseous state. CO2 has no liquid state!

Doesn't bode well for the rest of their claims!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohhhhh *if* he is talking about Ecofinish surfaces, that's a whole nuther subject in my mind. I was thinking of the pools we hear about here talking about plaster floors and fiberglass pool walls or some other hybrid unusual tweak. We've all read here of some very unusual pools using more than one building element and later seeking help fixing. Ugh!

In 20 years when if fiberglass pool needs refinishing - we're seriously going to hope the Ecofinish system will be common place and all the PBs will be up on it.

I hope the OP will come back and clarify exactly what they're seeking.....

Maddie :flower:

To the OP - I'll leave the discussion of surface materials to others. But here are two, very well written posts by the online pool world's foremost expert on water chemistry, Richard Falk -

EcoSmarte
Campbell Environmental Systems

ecoSmarte is a product with very questionable efficacy that preys on people's unfounded fears of "chemicals"....please read those posts and reconsider the way in which you care for your pool. There is so much disinformation and bad information out there as well as companies that will sell products that they know are useless.

Welcome and good luck to you.

PS - If your pool surface is just stained, but otherwise mechanically sound, then the culprit is all of the copper you have been using. Copper stains can be removed and you could quite easily restore that plaster surface...

Technically speaking, when CO2 is pressurized in a cylinder and if your cylinder is slightly above room temp, then the CO2 is past the thermodynamic supercritical point. A supercritical fluid has the flow characteristics of a gas (very low viscosity) but the solubility characteristics of a liquid (it can absorb a lot of "stuff"). So, in a sense, it acts like a "fluid". However, once out of the bottle and at atmospheric pressure, it's a gas.

There's nothing magical about CO2 being used for pH control....it's used all the time in large commercial pools and water parks to lower pH. It's safer to do that than to have large vats of acid sitting around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.